Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabassam

planting a dwarf crepe mrytle

tabassam
18 years ago

I was wondering if it was practical in the long run to plant a dwarf crepe mryle near the house as a foundation planting. I've seen it done in another house, but i have to wonder if it will outgrow its spot and become a problem in the future. Thanks, Tabby

Comments (6)

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Tabby,
    You've kind of answered your own question.

Nothing is dwarf if the spot you put it in is too small.
    And 'dwarf' is a relative term.

Look at the space you actually have, then choose something that really only gets appropriately big.

Note that what might be 2-4' in Florida might be 3-7' here in our zones. Or visa versa. I suggest you decide what shrub variety you like, or at least what color, do your research, then ask how others' have behaved in our zone.

Anything will outgrow its spot if it's final, full size is too big for it in the first place. The good news is that crape myrtles are pretty simple to move, particuarly if it's a dwarf variety. They sulk and play dead, but they're just drama queeens and will be back in full leaf quickly.

Christine

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Tabby,
    You've kind of answered your own question.

Nothing is dwarf if the spot you put it in is too small.
    And 'dwarf' is a relative term.

Look at the space you actually have, then choose something that really only gets appropriately big.

Note that what might be 2-4' in Florida might be 3-7' here in our zones. Or visa versa. I suggest you decide what shrub variety you like, or at least what color, do your research, then ask how others' have behaved in our zone.

Anything will outgrow its spot if it's final, full size is too big for it in the first place. The good news is that crape myrtles are pretty simple to move, particuarly if it's a dwarf variety. They sulk and play dead, but they're just drama queeens and will be back in full leaf quickly.

Christine

• jibba
    18 years ago

I planted two at each corner of my yard and they have been ok--not exactly the vibrant bloomers that i thought they'd be, but then again I haven't given them much bloom booster or anything. I have some room for them to grow, but not much so that's why I got the dwarves.

They really are handsome so go for it.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

When you say dwarf do you mean dwarf or do you just mean a 1 gallon plant? I would not plant a 20' x 20' "tree" real close to my house, but there are crepe myrtles that stay small...at least so I have read about. Otherwise Christine's advice is good...both times.

- Brent

• creatrix
    18 years ago

There are shrub sized crapes- 3-5x3-5. I believe 'Chickasaw' is one, as is 'Victor' and 'Petite Pinkie' (5').

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

So treat them as you would any shrub. If you'd plant it near the foundation because it's something you'll use as back-drop to other plants? Plan for it's eventual width (they're roundish) and put them in. They need at least 6 hours of sun for good blooming.

Christine

Sponsored