Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which vine or vines to cover brick wall on rowhome???

Posted by colinmatthews md (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 2:05

Hello all. I am new to the site and just wanted to say hello. I am looking for a vine or vines that i can plant and allow to cover up my ugly brick front. Yes I understand that ivy can damage, but that is really of no concern for me. I was looking at boston ivy, but I wanted to know if I could mix vines to allow for some flowering vines. My most important question is how long do these vines take to get acclimated and start growing. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which vine or vines to cover brick wall on rowhome???

I have to ask why you are not concerned about ivy damaging the home. Eventually it will be someone's concern!

o

Yes, how about that? Steve in Baltimore County.

o

Oh, sorry about that. I have formstone or formfront over the brick. I do not want to remove it just yet, so that is why I am not concerned. Thanks.

o

Next question - is your wall in sun or shade? If shady, you probably can't get flowers.

o

So it's not an 'ugly brick front', it's an ugly formstone front. I'd go with climbing hydrangea if facing north or east. Choose climbing roses if facing south or west. Presumes that you are not severely shaded by other buildings. And formstone says 'city' too me, so might want to go with the climbing hydrangea if you're in the shade of other structures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here