Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly bush

Posted by eileen123 md7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 7:01

I would like some opinions about cutting back butterfly bushes. My hubby does not like to cut back the butterfly bushes each year. They have grown so big. I would think it is better for them to be cut back each year. This year they seem to be leaning to one side because of a bad storm. I would like to have them cut back what do you think? When is the best time to cut them back in the spring or fall? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly bush

Hi Eileen, I used to cut mine back to the ground. I saw a beautifully shaped bf bush in Port Treverton PA. The owner said cut back to one foot and thumb prune if too many buds. I do this each year and always have a good bush. Do fertilize some as they are very shallow rooted. Guess I have told you a lot more than you wanted to know. Steve in Baltimore County.

o

There's another choice that was given to me.

I was told to let it grow wildly for 3 years. Then, I could pick the 3 strongest stems/branches, prune out the rest and prune up the chosen ones. I'd have a Buddleia tree.

Now, mine are huge and flop, too. I'm planning to move them as soon as the weather frosts, but I'm going to try the tree thing. Maybe. Since I'm moving them out to the side of my property as a wind block, I might just stake them up and let them go!

Love these babies. They make your yard wiggle with life!
Christine

o

Sic em! Christine

o

Thanks Christine and Steve! I am going to convince my hubby to cut them back this year. Hopefully I will not be sorry! They do wiggle with life, Christine. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here