Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_christie

source for horse manure

sandra_christie
16 years ago

Hi,

'tis the season for horse manure spreading. Does anyone have a good source of manure (horse or other) that delivers in / around Annapolis? Willing to pay, of course.

If anyone's interested, I have a great source of composted organic manure in Davidsonville, but they don't deliver.

I had wonderful veg. this year from raised beds topped with this stuff last Fall.

Comments (10)

• patapscomike
    16 years ago

How much do you need? If you just want a few trash bags full, I may be able to deliver (I have a horse farm for a neighbor, and so have an unlimited supply of well composted manure). It's not certified organic, but this is a very organic farm.

• kimka
    16 years ago

I could use a half dozen cat litter buckets fill of well composted manure. I'd be happy to drop off the empty buckets and pick them up filled. I live in Silver Spring near the Beltway and I work in Beltsville, but I travel well.

• patapscomike
    16 years ago

If you are willing to fill your own buckets, and horse farm will hook you up. Just call around to farms local to you. It's crazy to spend $10 on gas to get a couple buckets of manure. I just offered to s.c. because I am in Annapolis every day anyway so it would be on my way.

Not to turn anyone away, but seriously, horse farms almost always can't get rid of it fast enough. I've had 2 dump truck loads delivered to me already, free, I'm ready for another, and I've lived here less than a year...

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear Patapscomike,
    That's just so typically nice. It seems as though gardeners are just the very best types. Anyway, here's what happened next in my quest for manure. I called the farm and discovered that if I paid (a lot) the farmer was willing to deliver me 5 cubic yards. So I did. I would love to be able to just grab a few buckets of manure any time I needed it, but alas. This stuff is keeping me very happy, if I don't think about the cost. Your soil must be beyond wonderful living next door to such a place.
    Thanks again for the kindness.
    Sandra Christie

• patapscomike
    16 years ago

You are welcome Christie. I feel bad that you had to pay for horse poop. It will probably be worth it though.

As to my soil- I don't grow anything in soil anymore. I just use the aged manure cut with a bit of vermiculite and peat moss in raised beds. It is unbelievable how everything grows in that mix. I have become quite spoiled.

• watergal
    16 years ago

I was at the agricultural extension office the other day and picked up a pamphlet about a "manure matching" program! Here's the web site that explains the details - not sure what the minimum amounts involved are, but hopefully this info can help some of you folks out.

Here is a link that might be useful: manure matching

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Manure Matching, that's a HOOT!! I'm off to check the website now, thanks for that.

• kimka
    16 years ago

Do you have contact information?

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"...hills of really beautifully composted stuff. I felt like jumping in and rolling around in it."

Perfectly understandable, Kathleen! :-)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz