Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranma

Spring Swap 2006

gardengranma
18 years ago

Hi All: Many kudos to the team, Dr. and Mrs. Dirt, who organized the Fall Swap. What luck we had with the weather. I'll post links to photos as quickly as I can (if I can figure out how). If I got it right, we can have the Spring swap on Saturday, May 6, 2006 at GardenGranma's house just like last Spring. Just think, we have something to look forward to when the grim winter is here. GardenGranma is off Rt. 198 in Burtonsville. Vlad and all you other good souls might be willing to organize the swap as you did so nicely last May. I am suggesting May 6 just simply because that will be before the Green Springs sale and I hear that is a must see. We can all argue about details when we get a little closer. Cheers.

Comments (58)

• Lesathummercrossing
    18 years ago

Sounds like I missed a good swap. I wound up having to work last Saturday, but It won't happen May 6th as I plan to retire before then. So heres to May 6th
    Les

• treehouse
    18 years ago

May 6 is a go for me!!!!!!!!
    Thank you, Henrietta, for hosting.

Now, let me see if I can get there without getting lost 3 or 4 times.

Jan

• foodeefish
    18 years ago

Aye and thank you all for once again showing my wife and I a great time. Although it was only our second swap, you all are gracious and make everyone feel right at home. Wish we could have stayed longer but planting and a dinner engagement called.

Dr. Dirt, thanks for the great compost. Beagler 1776, great to meet You and Sarah- looks like She had a great time. Lois, thanks for the canning jars, and once again thank You all for a wonderful day!
    See you in the Spring and I'll be passing the blueberry Struessel sticks again if need be.

We are in for the Spring swap and have it marked on the calendar.

Foodeefish

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

ahem. Mr. Fabulous Foodeefish?

Yes, now that we know you can make them, you MUST bring strussel. My life will not be complete without it. What a fabulous way to be greeted when I pulled into my parking spot! Any chance of you throwing in a cherry one? Just checking, of course...

Consider it your duty, your mission in life, and your total responsibility. Swaps will never be the same without you and your mouthwatering, delicate strussel.

Yours in strussel forever,

Christine

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I agree..Strussel might just have to be another tradition of the swap to go along with the brownies. They were delicious.....now to get my husband to bring me coffee and a sticky bun or something.....Foodeefish..you spoiled us.
    Thank you everyone for the great plants, food,and conversation. Hopefully I will see you all at the next swap in the Spring....
    Bonnie

• giverny
    18 years ago

Another great swap (and what beautiful weather)! Since I knew I was going to be late and would have no time beforehand to dig up plants, I figured this was my time to load up on the composted manure. Thanks again, Professor Dirt, for the fabulous 'black gold'. I loaded up my trunk and put a big bag in my front seat. (I only wish I had a pickup truck.)
    The food and company, as usual, was great. While I did have 2-3 prearranged trades (and a special thanks to Vicki B.), thanks to the others who graciously gave me some of their extra plants as I walked by the cars.
    I look forward to seeing everyone at the spring swap. Mea/Giverny

• lwood321
    18 years ago

Thank you, thank you to the hosts and to all who donated plants to me (or swaped with me)! I spend Saturday afternoon figuring out where they would go and about 5 hours Sunday digging, planting, and moving things around. I need to build a new bed to host all my new natives. yay! I had a great time and am looking forward to May 6.

Leslie

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Had a great time as usual!
    Rose

• kimka
    18 years ago

Add my compliments to the Dirts for the incredible compost and hosting such a nice swap when we had been so down with the heat and drought.

Did we get the name of the person who put in the purchase order for the weather? Use that procurement contractor again. Can anyone tell I've been workig too hard at my gov'nmint job these days.

I'm in for May 6. Should I plan on bringing mint juleps rather than apple tart?

• busyasabee
    18 years ago

I'm in for May 6th! Many thank yous go out to those that gave/traded plants with me. All are now safely tucked into the ground.
    Cecilia ~ thanks for the gardening magazines.....they will get me through the bleak winter months.
    Had a great time at the swap as usual and see ya all next Spring!

• babywatson
    18 years ago

I have a question for the garden swap, are any plants for sale or do you definitely have to swap? I have a small garden and am not sure I'd have enough to really trade, although I'd be happy to give what I can. I've never gone before but would like to participate this year.

• lvmygrdn
    18 years ago

babywatson this was my first swap. I did not have much to bring with me so I brought food. Everyone was so generous with what they had. I came home with compost from Mr. and Mrs. Dirt. and many plants (a trunk full). (I don't recall all your names and I apologize and thank you.) What I found is that there are some prearranged trades between people. Then there are extras that are put out near your car/truck/horse/bike, etc.that are up for grabs. What I loved was talking to everyone. Well I have blabbed on enough. Oh and nothing was for sale. Do come, you will have a great time.

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Babywatson, don't worry about not having enough to trade. This isn't meant to be an even-steven kind of swap anyway. For example, my MO is to take care of the pre-arranged swaps first, then get rid of all my stuff as quickly as I can, so I can find out what other people have, and schmooze. People who aren't shy about saying 'I want that, and that, and that, and...' are my favorite kind of people, because they make my life easier. A lot of people have extras, and don't really care if they get anything in return, as long as they know that the plants are going to a good home.

If you feel bad about not bringing anything, bring food.

Suja

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

May 6th will be the week of our 10 year anniversary so we get first dibs on all the good stuff.

Larry

• alfie_md6
    18 years ago

the week of our 10 year anniversary

The week of...? No way, Larry. You're going to have to come up with something better than that.

:-)

• svzych
    18 years ago

I would love to be included in the Spring swap. I'm fairly new to Garden Web and didn't find this page in time for the Fall Swap but would like more particulars as time approaches. Do I just keep checking back, or am I now on some sort of list??--Thanks--Susan in Poolesville

Here is a link that might be useful: my page

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. . .

• spanaval
    18 years ago

There is no list of participants, Susan. You essentially participate by showing up at the designated place at the designated time. I'm assuming that a month or two before the swap, someone will start the 'Haves' 'Wants' and 'Foods' threads. You can post information about stuff you have, stuff you want, and any food you might be bringing to the respective threads, and arrange trades with people who have stuff that interest you. Just make sure to keep track of who you are trading with, and label your plants to make it easy on the recipient.

Suja

• dawnstorm
    18 years ago

BabyWatson and Susan: keep in mind that you can also bring any excess garden magazines, plastic pots, gardening tools, etc. Food, of course, is ALWAYS welcome!

• oscarthecat
    18 years ago

How about flower containers? Baskets vases,arrangement containers. Are those swappable? Daylilies, I have tons. Steve in Baltimore

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Steve, ANYTHING garden-related is swappable.

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

I just reread this thread and it lightened my spirits! :)

I'm looking forward to the swap.

I would like to ask those who are new, or have never swapped? Would you please let me park before you start grabbing plants out of the back of my truck? I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't want to drive over anyone's toes.

May 6th. Think we'll be able to keep this weather until then?

Christine

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Christine, just drive like you're a NooYawker. Everyone will stay waaay out of your way.

Suja

• chrismd
    18 years ago

Ok, I think it is time for some virtual gardening, so I put up the four threads for the exchange:

have: haves
    have: wants
    have: food
    have: everything else

I can't seem to post link addresses within the posting, did our new overlords block that capacity?

• ryanzone7
    18 years ago

Not to be icky picky, but its Professor Dirt, not Doctor Dirt.
    I profess.
    I don't cure.
    IALBTC

• lvmygrdn
    18 years ago

Was that me,Prof. Dirt? I know I referred to you as Mr. and Mrs. Dirt and that is also incorrect. I will try and get it right next time.

As my mom would say,"Call me anything but late for dinner." :-)

• bethbonemiller
    18 years ago

I keep checking this thread every so often hoping for some kind of miracle! I have to attend a wedding shower for my darling neice in upstate New York on 5/7/06. Can't see how to be in Burtonsville on 5/6 and Binghamton on 5/7...I had to miss the fall swap too! I finally got my new dry stack stone retaining wall/planting beds finished after 6 months of hassling with my contractor and filled them up with spring 2005 swap plants, but I'm seeing bare spots that need filling! Not to mention the stuff that's gone crazy that needs a new home with one of you! Boohoo....

Beth

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Beth, it is totally doable. Last Spring swap, I had to get myself to New Jersey, pick up my parents and go to Connecticut to visit my cousin, all on the day of the swap. We went to the swap a bit on the early side (for me, anyway), spent a couple of hours, and then drove up. The drive wasn't half bad, the swap was so much fun and the car had a bunch of stuff in it, all of which survived the trip there and back.

Suja

• redcat72
    18 years ago

Sounds great! I had a great time last year. I've been gathering more decorative pots since then so I'll have some things to bring, and maybe a few plants! My mom will be bringing some plants also. I'll have to leave early again this year since I have to work on Saturdays, but I'll be there early.

• heyruthie
    18 years ago

What time does this shindig ge going? Is there a "schedule" posted somewhere? I'm so excited!

• avoirgold
    18 years ago

I'm with "heyruthie"! This is my first swap and I am so excited. I don't have any plants to trade, but plan to bring food and hope to get some plant left-overs. As a compulsive planner, I would also like to know when the "shindig" gets started. :-)

• Laurel7286
    18 years ago

I missed you all too (yes I know who I am) but hope to be there at Henrietta's this spring

• spanaval
    18 years ago

The 'shindig' officially starts around 10:00 AM. It is going to be held at Henrietta's (where last Spring swap was also held), and we don't want to show up at her doorstep at the crack of dawn.

Most of the swap related questions should be covered by the FAQs, posted here:

http://www.thegardenforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=815
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/midatl/exch02115035780.html

As for 'some plant leftovers'? I can already see several swappers rubbing their hands in glee and going MUAHAHAHAHA! Those of us with plants to give away LOVE newbies. Especially newbies who are not picky. If you're not careful, you'll have so much stuff in your car you won't be able to fit.

Suja

• avoirgold
    18 years ago

Suja,

I too am rubbing my hands in glee! My only plea is that no one curses me with any horrible, invasive plants. Beyond that, check out the link below to see my sorry excuse for a yard! All I have are overgrown 35-year-old bushes/shrubs. And soon I won't have some of those because we are pulling them this weekend in the front and along the driveway.

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Sorry Excuse for Landscaping :-(

• kellyray
    18 years ago

How long does the swap typically last? I ask because I work nights, and will be coming off of a 12-hour shift the morning of the swap. I'd *really* like to come and absorb some knowledge (I'm new), but need at least a nap before I make the drive.

Kelly

P.S. Should I assume that forsythia and hosta are ubiquitous enough that other, non-plant offerings would be more welcome? Or should I dig 'em up anyway?

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

I dont know about anyone else but I would love some hosta. lol

This is my first year so I am really excited. Hope to see you there.

carey

• redcat72
    18 years ago

Is anyone planning on bringing Heirloom tomatos this year? I remember a lady had some last year that my mom got. Thanks!

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

Redcat72, there were several of us with tomatoes - hopefully at least one will be there. Right now my participation is looking iffy, due to rising gas prices and lots of new gardeners locally who need plants and encouragement. I've also taken on a Saturday AM class that I can't miss very often if I'm to keep up!

Kellyray, email me off forum if you like - we're at least in the same general area (though NoVa covers a lot of ground), and I'd be glad to share what I have.

Robin

• foodeefish
    18 years ago

Old metal Horse Trough-I have one that would be great for a garden or planter. I'll bring it to the swap if anyone would like it and its at least 4 feet long. I am wanting veggie plants.

• krgallo
    18 years ago

Have to do something else in Silver spring that starts at 10 am (dang). This was to be our first swap. How long are you all usually there? We have plants to swap and want to take some home!
    thanks.

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Kathy, it usually goes on for a few hours. I'd say that you're pretty safe if you can make it by noon. I think that the fall swap closed after 1:00, and although I couldn't stay till the end last time, I'm fairly certain that this one will have people at least until then.

Worst case scenerio is that those who are leaving early will have to leave stuff for you with someone who is staying back, or since it is at Henrietta's home, leave it with her.

Suja

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

redcat72, I will have tomato plants - mostly heirloom, but also a few of the Sungold hybrid cherry that everybody seems to love (me included). Were there any particular varieties you or you mom were interested in?

• dmb33
    18 years ago

Hi all!!

I mostly hang at other gardening sites, namely, the microherd with the old SCM convo folks. (But did I mention I have been to MD6 to meet Alfie and the small person! So that's gotta count for something, right??) :-)

Anyhoo, Beth, we must be swapping places! lol! I am coming down from Syracuse to attend a wedding in DC that weekend. I was NOT looking forward to this trip (in fact, I was looking for ways to get out of it) until Alfie casually mentioned the swap and I realized I could go!!

So, if anyone has plants that don't do well in MD/VA 7 and you think they'd be suited better for the frozen north, bring 'em!! ;-)

I will be bringing blondies, and possibly some garden variety (ha!) hostas. The hostas here are j u s t starting to poke their eyes through up here. We don't even have tulips blooming yet, for Pete's sake! And did I mention, frost warnings this week???

Will I have missed cherry blossom season down there by May 6??

Looking forward to it!!

Jen
    who used to live in MD7 but now lives in CNY z5

• redcat72
    18 years ago

cecilia_md7a, Thanks for the info. I know my mom was looking for the "Silver Fir Tree" or "Hawaiian Pineapple" Tomato which are heirlooms apparently. That Sungold hybrid sounds neat!

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

redcat72, unfortunately, I didn't grow any Silvery Fir Tree or Hawaiian Pineapple plants this year!

• maple_man
    17 years ago

call me dumb, but i can't find a post of GardenGranma's address? is the spring swap going to be at her place this spring on May 6th?

Brian C.

• maple_man
    17 years ago

Oops, just found it! yup i was dumb. i like digging in the garden, not digging in the www.

Brian C.

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

3 mored days!! my first swap ever!!

• donnap99
    17 years ago

I'm a newbie. Hi everyone! I've found the directions, but have not seen the TIME anywhere. ???

Thanks,

Donna

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Donna, you're right - the time doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on this website. Over on thegardenforums.org, it's listed as 10:00 am, which is our traditional time for starting the swap.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022