Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommend some colorful annuals?

Posted by trackmom 6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 14:39

We are next to the woods, with lots of deer damage and other animals, such as rabbits. i need to find some colorful, full-sun animal-resistant annuals for my pots. Licorice and dusty miller do well, but I want some color in the middle. Vinca and snapdragons work for a while, but I want color from Mother's Day until the end of September in those pots. Any suggestions? (p.s. I am finished with animal repellents. I'd rather just plant what they don't want.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommend some colorful annuals?

Have you checked the Rutgers Cooperative Extension list of Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance? Link below.

There's an old thread in the Annuals forum on this topic, where people submitted their suggestions:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/annuals/msg051203399872.html

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance

o
RE: recommend some colorful annuals?

Hi, I have the same problem here on the Chesapeake Bay Eastern Shore area. The annuals that I grow that animals seem to leave alone are:
Snapdragons
Calendula/Pot Marigold
Wallflower
Candytuft
Cock's Comb/Celosia
Sweet William
Coleus
Pansy
Love-in-a-Mist
Petunias
Salvias
Nasturtium
Short Zinnias & Cosmos
I know from past experience that if a deer is hungry enough it will sample anything. I haven't tried this but I've been told that plastic forks with tines facing up can be stuck in the pot to discourage grazing. Ouch!
I have to place knarly branches around my hostas to keep them away. I've about given up trying to plant hostas here. The only ones that are thriving are growing against the house foundation. Your potted plants may need to be closer to your house to keep them from being messed with. Maybe if you place a decorative plant stake in with your flowers it will discourage the deer. Squirrels are another story!
Hope you have better luck next Spring! Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here