Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alfie_md6

First frost!

alfie_md6
18 years ago

Not a hard freeze, and not everywhere in the garden, but definitely the first frost.

Comments (15)

• lvmygrdn
    18 years ago

The gardens were fine but I had to scrape the windows of the car and that I was not ready for.:-(

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

We haven't had any yet living as close to the Potomac River, but I hear that is going to change tonight with a harder frost everywhere.....darn I thought we could get to November before the first frost.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

None up here in Philly yet thanks to the big city heatsink. In any case, a warmup is on the way for the next week or so!

• laine713
    18 years ago

I, too, had to scrape my car windows on Thursday, but I was out today and my Lantana, malva and cosmos are still blooming. I hope the hard frost is not until mid November, I still have bulbs to plant.

• faerieannette
    18 years ago

I have some bulbs left too!!!!

• kimka
    18 years ago

I've planted bulbs as late as December 1. I just put them a little deeper and be sure and water them a couple of times. I still have some bulbs left to get in, even though I planted about 215 yesterday. Mostly daffs and crocuses as they seem to be the only things that escape the deer and the squirrels. I also put in 100 Scilla siberica along a stepping stone path.

Anybody trying some new bulbs this fall?

• lvmygrdn
    18 years ago

I decided to try some anemone blanda. I only planted 50. I mostly planted hyacinths, crocus and tulips. I have lots of daff's. Next year I'm going to plant minature daff's. I'm always thinking ahead. :-)

• braspadya
    18 years ago

I think that the first frost is likely to be tonight or tomorrow night.....but I am *really* hoping for another week of frost-free weather. There are a few brugmansias that are covered with flower buds that are just starting to open.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but bringing in the rest of the tender plants,

Dan

• rainshine
    18 years ago

New bulbs: Yes, I'm planting some Chionodoxa Forbesii, Anemone blanda 'White Splendor', and Scilla pratensis in rather heavy shade. Wish me luck! Also Fritillaria pontica and Allium bulgarium in dappled shade. Comments?

FROST: I have a Canna that came back (planted in 2004). It's giving no indications of bloom or gloom. Any advice? Yes, very cold here and will be 32 degrees tonight.

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Last night was the first frost it is so strange to see my 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea with bright blue flowers and frost bitten leaves. Katy

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Still hasn't frosted here in Philly. Seems it may end up happening either by the end of this week or better, some time next week, at least based on the long range forecasts. Time to get some last minute cuttings!

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

My cannas are frost bitten and I will cut them down this weekend and mulch them over for the winter. I sure hope they come back.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

1st frost here on Friday...last week. I have sooo many green maters. Been eating fried green maters for breakfast, lunch and dinner. yummm...

• JohnnieB
    18 years ago

There has been no frost in the city yet. The last two nights have been unusually warm and today the temperature is 75 degrees today! That's all changing soon, with the temperature dropping into the 40's tonight and tomorrow, with a forecast low of 29 (yipes!) tomorrow night.

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

I wouldn't trust cannas to overwinter in the ground, though it's certainly possible. I'd play it safe and dig them up.

Larry

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES