Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Certify Your Property as a Wildlife Habitat

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Hi there!

I was referred to this site run by the National Wildlife Foundation and thought it was cool. With the way developers are moving in, although legally this doesn't mean anything, it might give someone pause for thought.

This does cost $15.00, but I thought it was worth it. Many of our properties qualify, since all you need is a back yard!

Certified Wildlife Habitat.

Christine

Comments (9)

• christy2828
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting this Christine! Someone had mentioned that you could get your property certified as a Wildlife Habitat, but I never got a chance to look into it. I wanted to certify my hummingbird/butterfly yard! Thanks again, Christy

• karen_b
    17 years ago

When I lived in SC I looked into this and at the time there was alot involved in getting a yard certified. I was in the process of adding shrubs (cover) in my yard when we moved. Recently in our new house in PA I looked into it again and noticed the requirements had changed considerably. Unfortunately they have "dumbed" down the requirements so that just about anyone can have their yard certified which looses the appeal in my opinion. Now all it seems they want is your $15, and they no longer seem to care about the quality. Don't mean to discourage, it's always worthwhile to make ones yard more appealing to wildlife and this program encourages that and that is good.

Just my two cents, Karen

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

I looked into this when I read about it in one of my ponding magazines. I completed the process online and was, honestly, surprised at how easy it was to qualify, nevertheless I feel it is a worthwhile program. I paid an additional fee for the sign to post in my front yard and I've seen many people stop on their walks to read it. If it makes just a few people more conscious of their gardening practices with a view towards supporting wildlife and being more sensitive to the environment, it will have been well worth it.

Thank you, Christine, for posting your message the the link.

Diane

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Like I said, if it even causes one person to notice, it can't hurt.
    I also paid for the sign. What's $15.00?
    If you drink soda pop, smoke, are addicted to Sinckers, etc., it's miniscule in comparison.

The more the better, even if the requirements are "dumbed down."

Christine

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

We were too cheap to pay extra for the sign. Since we're on a court hardly anyone would ever see it.

Larry

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Years ago, MD DNR had a program called Wild Acres. Sounds about the same and it includes some useful mailings and info. It used to be free but of course....nothing is FREE anymore.
    The cost is $10.00 a year but that includes the sign. I think I'm going to use that one. I agree that increasing awareness in useful and important.
    Beth B

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beth, do you have a link for that?
    Christine

• gw:jules-visions
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information, I also signed-up:) I am new to this site. It is nice to know that there are other gardener's from Md on this site.

• gw:jules-visions
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I also paid the $15.00 and purchased a sign. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. It will be nice to see if anyone in my snobby neighbor hood pays any attention to the NWF sign :) It would be nice to have other people do the same.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner