Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct Sowing Lantana

Posted by CFMuehling 7b DC/MD 'burbs (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 19:34

Hi all!

I absolutely love Lantana. Last year I collected the seeds, but couldn't get anything to sprout and live.

Has anyone had any luck just sticking them in the ground?
How 'bout the cold? Should I pick them, bring them in and put them out in the spring, or just let them fall where they will?

What's your experience?
Thanks,
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct Sowing Lantana

I take cuttings and bring them in for the winter.

o

Sounds good, Alfie, but I've got to talk seeds...

No one is expected to remember this, but I can't take plants inside. My cats eat anything organic (straw flowers, dried things, cut flowers, you name it) and immediately hairball. They even give silk flowers a go, just in case.

So nothing comes inside except a scaggy cactus that has fang marks on all its sections. If I could bring lantana inside, I've have a forest of coleus, sages, amarillis, and tons of flowers!

Anyone got any ideas about the seeds?
Thanks,
Christine

o

Lantana makes a nice hanging plant :-).

(I also have a mouse cage that I bought once at a Goodwill that I can use for small plants. Unless your cats are smarter than mine (probably) and can figure out how to open the latch?)

o

Christine, Lantana seeds lose viability quickly so your seed need to be very fresh. Start them (indoors of course, since they're tropical) soon after collecting. Depending on type of Lantana, they may need heat to germ, and can take a few months. Cuttings are much easier way to propogate. Can you put your light table in basement or area where cats can't get to the cuttings. Don't they eat your seedlings too?

o

Oh, shoot.
I don't have a basement. Or a light table for that matter.
I winter sow, which worked beautifully one year and didn't this last.
So Hmmm..
I don't have a bird cage (good idea!) and yes, my little stinkers can get OUT of the cages, so I'm fairly certain they can get in. Their trick is to do this without opening the door, so I haven't figured it out yet.

I guess I'll just be winging it and hoping for the best?
Thanks anyway, ladies.
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here