Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Brandywine Red Maple

Posted by cr500 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 14, 06 at 21:03

Anyone know of a good place to get a Brandywine Maple? One nursery in Bethesda said they have it for $150 for a 6' tree.

That seems a tad high.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Brandywine Red Maple

Hmmm.
I bought mine online as a sapling. It wasn't inexpensive.
It's so beautifully red, I'd pay the $150 for a 6'. I'm not surprised it's so high. I'm willing to bet that's even on sale, isn't it?

I can go out and check the tag for the online vendor if you're interested in a small, beginner tree.

Christine

o

Don't bother checking. I found one online that I'll probably go for (6', 5 gal, $90 delivered).

Sounds as if you like the tree. How are the surface roots? How old and how big is it?

Rob

o

Mine is small. I bought it in 2004 and it came as a sapling, probably 12" tall? Here it is in 2006 and it's not 3' yet. No surface roots would be the good news! :)

I do love it, though. It's little leaves are a gorgeous scarlet. I have a 'Somerset' nearby, which is a tiny bit faster growing, and its leaves are a very great, complimentary red.

I wasn't in a position then to purchase anything but saplings and focus on the future. Nowadays, I'd also go for the one you found online. Let me know what you think as time goes by?

Christine

o

Nature Hills Nursery online (naturehills.com) I purchase a 4 ft. Brandywine Maple for $23.00 on March 8, 2008. I planted it a few days later (after the rain stopped). Today, it has tiny green leaf buds on all of its branches. Good Deal!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here