Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Ugliest plant after frost?

madsquopper
18 years ago

Well, all the tender stuff is now dead meat after last night's hard frost. What's the ugliest plant after this happens? I vote for impatiens. After those thaw out they're a pile of mush.

Larry

Comments (10)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

LOL! I haven't seen the final results of the carnage after what was our first frost/freeze here in Phillly overnight, but I know that any wax begonias that I didn't bother to dig up and bring inside often look the same as the impatiens after getting hit. In fact, the blackened segmented stems literally chunk apart, with the whole mass collapsing inward down to the soil surface. Any still-green morning glory vines become tangled brown strings of mushy leaves.

At least all the weeds become mush too (particularly the rampant wild oxalis and chickweed that infest my containers).

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

I vote for Musa Basjoo, my cold hardy banana as it gets black and droops in the freeze, then I have to cut it back to the ground to resprout in the spring.

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Let's see.
    I vote for Coleus. Then, there are Hardy Begonias. Then, Bleeding Heart. Oh - don't forget lantana.

Ah well. In-place compost, right? It all goes under a layer of leaves and maybe some mulch.

Christine

• bethbwest
    18 years ago

hey everyone - this is my first post after lurking for a few years. Have to say in my garden it's the Hydrangeas, mainly because I've got alot of them so they're really obvious. They look like 4' tall sticks with droopy leaves, not very attractive. Great to be here, it's a great forum!
    Beth

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Yes, impatiens wins the prize but all above are ugly! Forgot how bad the hydrangeas will look after serious frost. But the New Zealand Castor Beans are particularly eye catching right now simply because of their height and the darkness of their sad lifeless leaves. Must cut them back today.

• laine713
    18 years ago

For me it is the begonias as well, then the lantana and sweet potato vine. My impatients and coleus are currently covered by fallen leaves, I have yet to go look at them. Maybe, I will just leave them buried there and turn the soil next Spring. Otherwise, it is too much like work. LOL.

• thistle5
    18 years ago

I had hanging baskets of dragonleaf begonias that bloomed their hearts out all summer long, now they are reduced to mush...kind of sad, but it's the circle of life, some things go dormant & some things just die...

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I vote for the annual Vincas. Their leaves turn to mush, but the stems don't- mush on a stick!

• faerieannette
    18 years ago

I think some photos are in order...

• oath5
    18 years ago

I forget which type, but our Viburnum bush...it looks like purple mush rained down and got caught on the branches.....but for plants, everything looks homely, OH I know, pineapple lilies, they look like displaced seaweed, literally turning to a semi-gelatinous leaf shaped slop.....

Sponsored