Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugliest plant after frost?

Posted by madsquopper 7a No. VA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 8:28

Well, all the tender stuff is now dead meat after last night's hard frost. What's the ugliest plant after this happens? I vote for impatiens. After those thaw out they're a pile of mush.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugliest plant after frost?

LOL! I haven't seen the final results of the carnage after what was our first frost/freeze here in Phillly overnight, but I know that any wax begonias that I didn't bother to dig up and bring inside often look the same as the impatiens after getting hit. In fact, the blackened segmented stems literally chunk apart, with the whole mass collapsing inward down to the soil surface. Any still-green morning glory vines become tangled brown strings of mushy leaves.

At least all the weeds become mush too (particularly the rampant wild oxalis and chickweed that infest my containers).

o

I vote for Musa Basjoo, my cold hardy banana as it gets black and droops in the freeze, then I have to cut it back to the ground to resprout in the spring.

o

Let's see.
I vote for Coleus. Then, there are Hardy Begonias. Then, Bleeding Heart. Oh - don't forget lantana.

Ah well. In-place compost, right? It all goes under a layer of leaves and maybe some mulch.

Christine

o

hey everyone - this is my first post after lurking for a few years. Have to say in my garden it's the Hydrangeas, mainly because I've got alot of them so they're really obvious. They look like 4' tall sticks with droopy leaves, not very attractive. Great to be here, it's a great forum!
Beth

o

Yes, impatiens wins the prize but all above are ugly! Forgot how bad the hydrangeas will look after serious frost. But the New Zealand Castor Beans are particularly eye catching right now simply because of their height and the darkness of their sad lifeless leaves. Must cut them back today.

o

For me it is the begonias as well, then the lantana and sweet potato vine. My impatients and coleus are currently covered by fallen leaves, I have yet to go look at them. Maybe, I will just leave them buried there and turn the soil next Spring. Otherwise, it is too much like work. LOL.

o

I had hanging baskets of dragonleaf begonias that bloomed their hearts out all summer long, now they are reduced to mush...kind of sad, but it's the circle of life, some things go dormant & some things just die...

o

I vote for the annual Vincas. Their leaves turn to mush, but the stems don't- mush on a stick!

o

I think some photos are in order...

o

I forget which type, but our Viburnum bush...it looks like purple mush rained down and got caught on the branches.....but for plants, everything looks homely, OH I know, pineapple lilies, they look like displaced seaweed, literally turning to a semi-gelatinous leaf shaped slop.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here