Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

And my Insect Hotel

CEFreeman
9 years ago

I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too good to throw out" and things I'll "make something with" someday. Those phrases sound familiar?

I was reading about Inset Hotels and thought not only were they visually interesting, but such a great idea!

I used a Freecycle book shelf and a couple of the shelves as the frame.
I used rotting planter boxes I got from the Community Forklift.
I used materials I had here in the yard, except for the magnolia seed heads, which are so interesting! Got those from work.
Bricks were from a recycle project a friend dumped in my yard.

The premise is that we can increase good bugs/pollinators in our gardens with proper environments. Which, of course, with all the well-trimmed gardens, we are eliminating. These things, with proper habitat materials, can attract lace wings, lady bugs, butterflies, beetles, etc. All types of things that live in our gardens, anyway, but remain at risk. (I'd like to attract slugs and kill 'em.)

After 2 days, I already have ants moving in. I actually hate ants, but other bugs eat them. I saw a woodpecker in the lawn eating out of an ant hill. Good job, 'pecker!

So here we go:

Close ups:
Top:

Middle:

Bottom:

Edited to add:
Here is a Goodsearch image search for you, for more inspiration. Plus, they're cool.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 12:03