Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acorns? where are they? (x-posted in Lawns Forum)

Posted by rai_in_MD 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 04 at 12:47

I suddenly realized that I haven't seen a SINGLE acorn this fall. Has anyone else noticed this? Shouldn't they have dropped by now? Usually, I get a ton of them on the ground, then the squirrels eventually gather them all up after a month or so.

We had lot of cicadas this year. Maybe their 'pruning' decreased the acorn yield?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acorns? where are they? (x-posted in Lawns Forum)

Large acorn crops come in 3- or 4-year cycles. Check out this article.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Wildlife article

o

What a fascinating article! Thanks for post Cecilia! :-D

o

From Eastern Shore... 2003 was like hailstorms of acorns. 2004, they were here too just not so many. Just ask my lawnmower (yes, I mean the machine, not the person) Also, If you really want to know, wait until spring and look in the woods under Oak trees you should see plenty of seedlings.

o

Another possible factor: squirrels. They were able to raise their entire litters this year due to the protein boost provided by all those cicadas. Then come fall, no insect snacks -- so greater inroads on other food sources such as acorns and my tulip bulbs, even though the latter are saturated with Ro-Pel. The little buggers are too warm to hibernate, and too hungry to pass up anything edible. They even tore open a small hole in the screen on my back porch to get to the bowl of dry catfood... yes, it wasn't the neighbor's mastiff -- too high off the ground for him.

LynnT

o

Great article! Unfortunately all of my oaks are on different cycles and we get bombarded every year. This year appears worse than ever. If someone could find a way to stop the drop of acorns, they would make a fortune! What a pain in the neck if you garden in the woods! Suz

o

The oak at school had tons of acorns. The kids' pockets were filled everyday after recess. I have an oak at home that has been here for @15 years and hasn't dropped any acorns in the 4 yrs I have lived here. How old does an oak have to be before it produces seeds?

Jan

o

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 17, 05 at 13:03

Jan -- depends. Very roughly, maybe 15-25 yrs, but varies w/species & conditions. The Northern Red oak @ my parents' previous place took about ~15 yrs, then started producing huge amounts every couple yrs. OTOH, a 55' tall (30 yr old) Pin oak on a friend's lawn has never produced more than a handfull.

Some hybrid oaks produce only after a couple yrs of age.

o

Squirrels also I thought that too till I saw our donkeys and horses eatting them.

o

OMG Im in mid michigan and do i have alot of acorns, so bad that I cant rake them up, we've mowed, racked, plucked it is insane the worst ive ever seen.

o

And other nuts too I'm sure. (6 year old post)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here