Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Garden Implements of Destruction

cfmuehling
18 years ago

Hi all!

For those of you who will darken Wal-Mart's doors, I had a great surprise the other day!

I shoveled too much this year and pitched too much fork. I broke or wore out 2 shovels and 2 pitch forks. Go figure.

I went to Wal-Mart to get a shovel. Vlad was coming over to dig stuff and I needed to have the proper utensils for my guest. I bought a shovel.

Well, I just looked at my receipt. It was on sale [insert drum roll] ONE DOLLAR!.

So.. if you go into the garden area, turn left before you go out into the tented area? at the end are the out of season tools.

I'm going back.....

Christine

Comments (7)

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

Squall Mart is cheap, but then so is the quality. After many years of trying to save money on garden tools I finally realized it was better to spend more at the beginning to get the good stuff. For twice the cost you can get things that are virtually indestructible.

Larry

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm...
    So what you're telling me is that if I spend $2.00, it will last forever? Somehow, optimist that I am, I doubt that's what you meant.

Larry, my husband, whom you might have met, is a contractor. My garden tools are construction grade and meant to last that lifetime of indestructibility to which you referred.

Nonetheless, the solder broke on two pitch forks, and two shovels bent and snapped respectively where the handle joins the metal of the shovel.

So now, for $1.00? I have disposable tools that I don't care about breaking. And so far, they're doing fine.

So for those who do lighter gardening, or have less digging or pitching fork to do? This might be the ticket. You really can't go wrong for $1.00. If it last a season, does it owe you anything?

Christine

• blueheron
    18 years ago

I've heard that Sears will replace ANY tool that breaks, no matter how old it is. Maybe you should consider buying your tools there.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, what you have heard is kind of correct, at one point in time.

Sears used to guarantee any Craftsman tool for life.
    Then, people started bring back lawn mowers, tractors, and other power items. They were forced by their own guarantee to honor their word.

Their word changed. Now it's selective and definately not power.

Frankly, I don't care enough about lawn equipment to worry about a lifetime of shoveling or pitching fork. I needed some tools, thought someone else might appreciate the $1.00 cost and posted. Why pay $27.00 for a shovel?

Christine

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

If you aren't breaking pitchforks every few years you're not moving things enough.

I like the idea of having cheap spares. I probably won't spend my Sunday time at Walmart, but thanks for the tip Christine!

• laine713
    18 years ago

Christine, I purchased a pitchfork at Walmart at a cheaper price than HD. And I love it. I usually buy my potting soil at this time for there, but I will go back and check out the leftove gardening tools. Can't have too many!

By the way, Christine, how did your new red truck hold up through its first summer?

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I get potting soil there, too. Why pay double for the same product?

Laine, my little truck has really worked hard and served me well, thank you for asking! I hauled over 16 loads of firewood that were far too big for the truck. Then, 19 loads of mulch. Most recently it's been bricks. I've picked up almost 3000 from a Freecycle member and am laying a driveway. It's been a faithful companion all season. Now we'll see how she handles our little winter. :)

Christine