Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting cover for fence in shade

Posted by zeak none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 13:22

Hi, I live in Maryland zone 6B. I have an ugly east facing green trellis fence in the backyard that is in partial to full shade due to overhanging cedars. I'd like to cover this with something "vine like" that is relatively dense to block out the neighbor's adjacent fence but don't want anything too wide like a shrub as the space is limited. The space is about 100ft long so cost is a factor. The height is 5-6 ft. Evergreen or something close is preferable to provide screen in fall and winter as well. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting cover for fence in shade

Ivy is evergreen and fast growing, can grow in sun or shade. But rampant growth may be a problem. You will need to check from time to time that it doesn't invade nearby trees or flowerbeds.

There is also hydrangea petiolaris. You will get white flowers in late summer. This will get thick vines as it gets larger, so will need some good support that can take the weight. I read it can be a bit slow to get going when first planted, but have no experience with it. Have seen it growing on a stone fence at work. Looks really nice. The spent flowers provide late season interest as well.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/d370/hydrangea-anomala-subsp.-petiolaris.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea petiolaris

o
RE: planting cover for fence in shade

Sorry, the hydrangea won't be evergreen. Here's a link I found that lists some evergreen vines. You'll need to research them and find out if they will work for your zone and their potential for being a thug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link from UT Austin discussing mostly evergreen, and long blooming flowering vines

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here