Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Cannas still flowering

madsquopper
18 years ago

Some of the Red Stripe are STILL putting out a few sporadic flowers. These did well this year, with the plants getting between 8 to 10 feet tall. Looks like later on this week may be the end of the line, however.

Larry

Comments (17)

• babywatson
    18 years ago

Mine are too. But later on it's supposed to get sharply colder and that'll be it, I guess.

When do you dig yours up and store them away?

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've dug a few already. Usually I'll wait until the first hard frost kills the tops and then dig them shortly afterwards. Biggest problem is getting them to dry out before storing in peat moss. After a day lying in the sun I still need to put the biggest clumps in front of a fan for another day or so to get them ready to store.

Larry

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

My tropicana close to the house is stillflowering and growing, but it will dieback soon with colder temps on the way this week.

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I grew some dwarf cannas from seed this spring- WOW! They're still blooming and putting up new stalks. Probably not after tonight though. I really didn't expect them to do much this first year.

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

I think tonight they will be toast and I will protect them with mulch this weekend.

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Oh, boy am I lucky in ignornace!
    I dug mine up (new growth and blossoms coming up, too!) after the 3rd or so frost.
    I haven't found a place to put them inside the garage room yet, so they've been sitting outside in brown paper bags. I guess this is letting them dry?

Do I cut the stalks off? Do I need to actually put them in peat moss, or are the bags really OK? I've heard both.

They grew huge in the 3 months I had them in the ground. I hate to think and need to plan for some pretty darned big plants next year, based upon this, don't I? I loved them, though!

Wow.

Christine

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You need to bring them inside so they won't freeze. I keep mine in peat moss but I'm sure they would do fine if you just kept them in bags. Make sure they are dry so they don't rot. Cut the stalks off, also.

I now have a ton of Red Stripe (again) and will be looking to get rid of some in the spring. At a minimum I always get at least three times as much as I plant, and sometimes more.

Larry

• watergal
    18 years ago

I put my canna tubers on cookie sheets and leave them for several days on the dining room table, where the hot afternoon sun dries them out. My family does not find it very appetizing while we're eating, but after all these years they're getting fairly used to my strange gardening habits...

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Well, watergal, in my opinion it's better than a worm or ant farm. Even though worms don't bother me, there's still something about crawly ants.

I'll dry them out, then, and put them someplace ventilated and cool.

Larry, put me on the list for some of your Red Stripe? I'll have Bengal Tigers, which were just lovely.

Thanks guys, as always!
    Christine

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

I finally dug mine up on Saturday - now they're drying out in the basement. I've got salmon-colored City of Portland and a bright yellow one that I can't remember the name of (I have it written down), but I managed to get the tubers mixed up! Oh well, at least the colors go together. I'll probably have some for the spring swap, unless they rot.

• dawnstorm
    18 years ago

Cecila, can you please put aside a tuber for me? Cannas are so gorgeous! Certainly worth digging up every fall!Thank you.

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

Mine are still alive in the ground. I hope they come back in the spring.

• lillieofthemtns
    18 years ago

Last season was my second with Cannas. Never dug them up and they multiplied and bloomed like crazy. Just covered bed up with some straw. Did the same thing this year. Hope they come back!

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

This was my first year with Cannas. I got them from the spring VA swap...some red ones. I was really impressed with how well they grew and bloomed with very little care. I did dig them up in Dec and stuck them in the garage...hopefully they are not rotting on me. I was amazed at how much they multiplied. I am pretty sure that I just planted 3 pots in the spring. I divided them when I dug them up and I must have ended up with 20 divisions.

- Brent

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Larry,
    Suja just emailed me to check in, which reminded me I should post something.

I wanted to tell you not to plan space for the Bengal Tigers. We had a fire December 2nd. The restoration people took everything left in the house, inventoried it and packed it up to be cleaned. I'm afraid they might have thrown my bags of bulbs out, because they even cleaned the garage. Imagine my surprise when they tackled that.

Anyway, I might not have any in the spring.

Sorry,
    Christine

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Christine,

That's too bad, I was looking forward to those. I'll still have plenty of Red Stripe for you. Also some really nice HOT PINK cannas that will look great in your yard.

Larry

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Christine: Sorry to hear about the fire. I sure hope that nobody was hurt and that the damage is not too extensive.

Back on topic...I was beginning to think that it was a complete waste of time digging up my Cannas, but maybe the recent cold weather make it worthwhile.

- Brent

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!