Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infrared_gw

Helleborus Niger Locally?

infrared
16 years ago

Anyone in DC area see any of these anywhere to buy?

Comments (9)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

If you do not mind ordering online, try Pine Knot Nursery in VA. They are located too far to visit them unfortunately. They have nice selection of H. niger and their own hybrids.
    I understand that you ordered some Helleborus babies from Barry (Sunshine nursery), did you? Did you order doubles? I also wanted to order these babies from him, but he sells them in quantities of 7 and I had to buy singles as well to get doubles. 14 Hellebores are more than I need for my small shady garden :-(

• infrared
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Alina! I was going to order from Barry, but got some nearly free so I asked Barry to let me know when he has Cyclamens and Nigers to sell, too, and I will get some. I would be happy to combine an order with you in a few months, if you are interested. I'm off to check out your resource now and thanks a lot for the suggestion!

• infrared
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alina, any suggestions for potting up these Hellebores that are arriving next week barerooted? Seems the ground is too frozen to put them in now, so need to use outside planter.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

This is the time of year when hellebores germinate, so if they were kept cold where you purchased them, pot them up individually and snug them into a pile of leaves as deep as the pot. They are very hardy, but small pots don't offer much protection, so I use leaves around the pots. If you have a nursery area they could go into the ground now. Ground won't be frozen for months (assuming you are in MidAtlantic or even New York or New England.)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Infrared,
    I would love to combine an order with you! Especially if Barry will keep selling in quantities of 7 or more :-) I do not want many plants of the same strain for my limited space. I would also order some Cyclamens... Let me know when you will place your order. BTW, Barry agreed to sell only 7 doubles without 7 singles to me. So they should be on their way now.
    Owners of Pine Knot Nursery are Helleborus gurus, so their farm should be a nice source to buy from. They are not very good on keeping their web site up to date though. It is half dead. I sent them an email about a week ago, but did not receive a reply. I guess it is just off season now... I'll try to call them next Saturday (cannot call during the week).
    As for planting, I agree with Cynthia: try to isolate your pots. I ordered portable green house for my potted plants, but last winter I just kept them close to the house covered with piles of leaves. The main enemy of potted hardy plants in winter is freeze/thaw cycle, not frost. I also soak bareroot plant before potting, from 1 hour to a week, depending on cultivar and degree of dehydration.
    An advice from Barry: do not overwater! Keep soil slightly moist, never soggy. He also told me that common belief that Hellebores hate their roots being disturbed is a rumor. You can tease roots apart if they are pot bound.

Infrared,
    Can you tell where you get your Hellebores from (if it is not a secret)? These babies are so expensive, I am trying to find a good deal on them.

Thanks,
    Alina.

• infrared
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cynthia, Thanks for the advice! These Hybridis have been in a cold greenhouse. I will put some into a nursery bed and some in a large plastic planter in front of steps. I can put mulch around large planter if you think that will help keep them from heaving? Also, would you lime the planter for Hybridis?

Alina, I called the folks at Pine Knot yesterday (Sunday) and they had **ALL** Nigers in stock!! I asked what they had in bud and they had some wayward hybrids that were in bud but had forgot to label the pots, so weren't sure what they were exactly. (Sounds like the same person who does the website?) The shipping was $15 minimum which was a little steep, but they ship in pots, not barerooted. I have killed helleborus before with too much watering, so only ordered 2 sold in quart pots for $12 each, which is substantially less then their named hybrids which go to $25.

According to Pine Knot Guru, these Nigers should be fine in the plastic planters in front of the steps with no mulch around the planters or any liming. What do you all think about this? I'm planning on putting one Niger in each of the planters and then 2-3 of the Hybridis in each planter with the rest of them (I'm getting 14 of them) either going into a nursery bed or into a very large plastic pot that will be sunk into the ground or covered up with leaves or mulch like Cynthia suggests. How does this sound? Also, what do you think of adding lime? If Nigers don't need it, do the Hybridis?

The hybridis I got aren't anything special, Alina. I don't have any Hellebores now, so these are just the basic ones that come in mixed colors (ruby, pink or white). If you are interested in these at a good price, I will check for you to see if more are available. Also, definitely willing to go partners with order to Barry when he has more cyclamens and nigers in stock!

• infrared
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How do I soak the bareroot hybridis...indoors or outdoors and how long would be good for plants in shipping for 2-3 days from TN?

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Your plan for overwintering your new babies sounds good to me. Last year I did not have a garden (we just bought our first single family home 6 months ago). I kept all my plants in pots. I had about 80 pots with perennials and bulbs. I lost a couple of perennials: one somewhat tender Clematis and one Peony. As for bulbs, I lost about 80% of them to rot! It was definitely due to these freeze/thaw cycles during harsh February frosts. I believe that the soil in pots was too wet. I came to a conclusion that perennials are more tolerant to these conditions than bulbs. Isolating pots and keeping soil barely moist should definitely help.
    As for soaking, I would soak them for at least 1 hour in tepid water keeping top growth above the water level.
    Infrared, did you buy your babies from this Ebay seller? I think I will place a bid on 6 mixed Helleborus lot. The price is good, the reputation of the seller is nice as well.
    Any particular reason you ordered H. niger from Pine Knot now? I think I will order from them next spring.

• collectordi
    16 years ago

I know this is late but do you know that Barry Glick and Pine Knot sell at the Green Spring sale in the spring?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz