Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poncirus trifoliata ' Flying Dragon'

Posted by oath5 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 23:46

Is this cultivar fast growing? I really like the idea of the curved branches and thorns adding to the appeal of this shrub during the fall and winter. I have never seen one in Maryland before, but since it appears to be quite hardy, I decided I'd like one since it's rather unusual, however I've heard that 'Flying Dragon' is rather slow growing and a dwarf, compared to the regular trifoliate which grows rather quickly so I'd like some clarification if that's true or not.

Does anybody have experience with it here in the Mid-Atlantic? Does it or the regular trifoliate have to be sprayed with anything?

Thanks, much appreciated.

- Max

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poncirus trifoliata ' Flying Dragon'

I have a few that I started from seed. To me they seem fairly slow growing but I think they are worth the wait. Mine have not been bothered by any pests and I've never had to treat them with anything. I pretty much ignore them and they are doing just fine. Henrietta has some nice sized FD's in her garden. I'm not sure how long she's had them. I've never grown the regular trifoliate sour orange except as rootstock on some of my dwarf citrus.
Karyn

o

Sounds good, thank you for your input Karyn.

-Max

o

My FD was exactly 3' tall when I planted it in July '04. It's now 6'. Taller than that if you consider the half dozen or so sparse branches at the top. I don't consider that terribly slow growing. Mine produced lots of fruit 1st time this year and it's never been bothered by insects. Btw, it's still holding on to all it's leaves but they're starting to yellow up.

I got my tree from Edible Landscaping outside Charlottesville, Va. They have a beautiful specimen there that was about 10' when I saw it last 2 yrs ago. Nice day trip from where I live just west of Frederick.

o

There is a quite beautiful and muture example of this plant/tree at the bartholdi park garden near the US Capitol in DC, just of Independence Avenue - it grows quite wide and those enormous thorns are at adult person eye level - you could really loose an eye if you are not careful near this plant, so I would suggest that you not plant near any areas where there are lots of pedestrians... - Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here