Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scottish Moss

Posted by golestan 6b BC Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 0:51

I planted four patches of Scottish moss last May in an area, where native moss grew, moist and shady. By late July the patches had grown thin and scraggily and appeared on their way to oblivion. Trying this site or one like it for advice came up empty. So I transplanted it into a bright sunny spot in July/August. By fall the patches had not only bloomed and thickened, but also spread to about twice their size at the time of transplanting. Ooops, correction three of the four had done so. The fourth was apparently to far gone already and dried up. We live in a very dry and hot region. I am sure the temperature approached or maybe even crossed 100^ F after transplanting. So I would vote for sunny conditions, despite some evidence to the contrary in this thread.

Next spring I will look for one or two different shades of Scottish moss and plant them also in full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scottish Moss

In my experience Scottish moss cannot stand dry conditions. You say you planted it originally in a place where your native mosses grew but natives may be adapted to the alternating wet/dry conditions you seem to have there. Did you get more rain after you transplanted it? That could account for it's later success. Plus, your sunny areas will not receive as intense light as will those further south from you, therefore it might be ok (as you found out!) to plant shade lovers in sun there.

Gardening in general is a trial and error exercise. I've planted things in sun that are supposed to like shade and shade lovers in sun and had good luck sometimes. Of course, some don't make it even in so-called ideal conditions! The main thing is to have fun, be watchful, and be willing to move/change/dig out when things don't go as expected. It doesn't always work but we almost always learn something from the experience.

o

Hi Sandy,

Although I emphasized sunny location, I can assure you, that the weather is also quite dry here.
Our annual total precipitation (rain plus snow moisture content) is 332.7mm (13.1 inches).
10% less and we qualify as desert.
See http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=BC &StationName=&SearchType=&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=1053& for official data.

Sorry about that god awful URL. I tried to tinyurl it, but that is not permitted on this site.

We live about 30 miles north of the most northern tip of the Sonoran Desert.
If there is any reduced intensity of sunlight, which I doubt, it is compensated by longer daylight hours during summer.

Native vegetation includes such sun lovers as cacti, sagebrush, and even Antelope Brush (Greasewood).
The light intensity is certainly higher than in the Mid Atlantic Region, in which this site is centred.

Of course, in a semi-arid region, such as ours we have automatic sprinkler systems, which keep the soil moisture up,
but do very little to mitigate the dry air, by being active for 15 minutes or less every two days.

Best,
Olaf

o

I don't think this is the most appropriate forum for your question. We here on the East Coast don't know much about Sonoran desert conditions. Try posting in Perennials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here