Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Are you a Montgomery County Wintersower?

pippi21
14 years ago

Looking for others in Montgomery County that participates in Wintersowing of flower seeds in jugs, liter bottles,etc.

Comments (10)

• avoirgold
    14 years ago

I'm in Howard Cty, but I also wintersow. There are several of us on this board who wintersow. We are having a seed exchange on Saturday. See the attached link. Hope to see you there!

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Swap

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I'm in Alexandria, not MoCo, but this will also be my first year wintersowing. I collected/traded for lots of seeds this fall, so I'm hoping to have a lot to show for my work come spring.

~CA

• kimka
    14 years ago

I'm in Silver Spring and this will be my fourth or fifth year ws'ing. It has worked so well that I now have a stand at my local farmer's market selling plants.

KimKa

• busyasabee
    14 years ago

this is my 2nd year wintersowing....love it. I had great success last year, and was able to share some of my extras with other gardeners.

• Ann
    14 years ago

This will be my third year WSing, and WOW, I can't believe that I waited so long. kimka's right, it will take off and you will be leaving plants on your neighbor's doorstep. Unfortunately because I broke my ankle very seriously last summer, many of my WSed plants didn't make it through the summer, but I'm on the road to recovery and looking forward to another fruitful (plantful?) year!

• shadysite
    14 years ago

I'm in Chevy Chase and am using the plastic lettuce boxes and gallon milk jugs. Have my fingers crossed! I am starting a LOT of Trudi's wintersown.org tomato seeds for a Food Bank garden...was waiting until February to put them out as many seem to have problems with germination. Any ideas particular to this area? Have my fingers crossed!

L

• oogy4plants
    14 years ago

I wintersow in Gaithersburg and have pretty good success, although I've tried lots of native plants that haven't germinated. Not sure why. With the ups and downs of winter in MD it can be hard to keep things evenly moist. But my main problems are after sprouting- it is hard to plant out the tiniest sprouts into a garden and waiting until they are larger tries my patience. Lots of sprouts don't make it for me. I have had success growing ferns from spores last year (except these were sprouted inside and moved out later) and they are still in their continers outside looking nice inside thier plastic bags. I will pot them up or out in spring.

Susan

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I wonder when I'll be able to find my containers under all this snow!!!!!

• clio95
    14 years ago

I'm in Rockville and am winter sowing for my 3rd year. Some things have worked beautifully for me; others, not so well. I mostly use milk jugs (with 3 kids, we have a lot of milk jugs!).

This year, I have a ton of seeds I gathered from my MIL's garden. I hope they do well!

• ms_minnamouse
    14 years ago

I'm in Brookeville, that's right outside of Olney. This is my second year.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery