Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Mulching Made Easier?

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Hi all!

I had this little light bulb go off recently and am 1) glad! and 2) sorry no one mentioned this idea earler.

I have a lot of gardens, as some of you can attest. I have a lot of day lilies and ditch lilies, along with several different out-of-control ground covers.

In the past, I'd always been very careful to mulch around each and every of the gudzillion sprouts these plants make.

This year, I thought to myself, "Self? Those babies come up no matter what. Like Hosta. And those darned ground covers cover wildly. If I kill a few, they'll fill in again in a week."

So this year's fall mulching (which should be done this weekend) went a lot easier and faster. I just covered the lilies with a smaller layer of mulch, and didn't worry about the ground covers. I kind of use the mulch to hold down the maple leaves in the garden. So I don't worry too much about thick or thin layers.

Last year, with our house fire, nothing got mulched. It was hit or miss in the Spring. This fall, everyone is getting a blanket, so hopefully in the Spring I'll just need to rough it up. The neat thing is that all that dead foliage around the lilies will compost and look so much better!

I think I'm brilliant.

Christine

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting