Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delcogardens

Ive got the 'It's Winter in the Garden' Blues

delcogardens
13 years ago

Hi! I am planning on enlarging my garden to resolve some water & landscaping issues and was wondering the best time to transplant some things. I've heard some people say now is ok and others say to wait till spring. Do I have to wait till spring?? I'm not sure I'm ready to let my garden time go just yet. I'm chomping at the bit to do some things out there now ( total garden withdrawal!) and figured why not get started on some things.

The plants I was thinking of transplanting now are:

Autumn Joy sedum

Barberry shrubs

Shasta Daisies

BlackEyed Susans

EasternRedbud sapling

Rose of Sharon bush ( also a sapling but larger)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've been moving stone borders and mending pond edges ( a nightmare and the result of piss poor planning on my part..lesson learned)and really anxious to do more than just that.

Comments (4)

• karate626
    13 years ago

Last year I transplanted Black Eye Susans November 28ish (few days after thanksgiving). They grew fine and even flowered this year. I planted a Redbud seedling/sapling mid-November and it grew some but it dieing back because winter is coming. It has dropped all of its leaves. I have a ton of Rose of Sharon bushes that I transplant at all times of the year. Even Mid-summer and as long as it is well watered they seem to do fine. I have never transplanted one this late but I don't see why not.

Good Luck!
    TJ

• delcogardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I waited too long- the ground is frozen solid! I'll have to entertain myself with photoshop sketches and moving stones. Thank you TJ for your advice. I've noticed how hardy Rose of Sharon is..I've cut those down to nubs and they always come back. I guess it's waiting till spring now which is only a gazillion days away. Sniffle...

• ellicottcitycathy
    13 years ago

Hi Delco,
    What would you do differently on your pond edges?

I put in 3 prefab ponds last year and haven't done the edges yet. I'm still working on how to get them to flow into one another from the waterfall I added. Pond # 2 has a built in prefab lip that acts as a waterfall into Pond #3. But Pond #1 has a solid edge that I have been reluctant to cut into to get it to flow into pond #2.

My thought was to edge them with a layer of sand, then flagstones, with some juniper and creeping jenny in between the stones.

How did you do yours and what would you do differently?

Cathy

• delcogardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used rubber roofing liner for my ponds & stream so that I could get a more organic shape. If I could turn back the clock, everything would be BIGGER and wider! I read that once before I started my ponds- that the one thing you'll always regret is not making your water feature bigger and it's true in my case. When the ground thaws I'd like to use less rock bordering the stream and lower pond. It's just too much rock and doesnt have a natural feel to it. I read someone's post once, who had the same issue, that she felt like it was a stone necklace bordering her stream and that describes my stream perfectly. I'd like some edges to look a little (wo)man-made and most of it to be natural looking. I started pulling some stone away towards the end of the summerand planting purslane which made a fantastic ground cover and pond/stream edge. It goes wild but it really is pretty and edible- woohoo! I'd also have not attempted an 'island' in my bog/ mini-stream. I wouldve left the liner intact and approached the island another way, if at all. Below is my youtube playlist for my watergarden. I try to do quick pan arounds once a month with my camera..kind of fun to see how its all changed since the beginning of the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: My water garden

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County