Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best heirloom melons/watermelons/pumpkins for the DelMarVa region

Posted by oath5 MD 6b/7a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 27, 10 at 14:29

I'm looking to grow types melons in my backyard, both for the table and for selling if possible, and and I've gotten Amy Goldman's book on melons as well as looked at lot's of online sites.

We've ordered from Baker Creek this year and I had great success with Banana Melons which I want to grow again. We unfortunately crowded our garden too much so the melons didn't fare as well as I would have hoped. We tried Charentais, Hale's Best, Banana Melon, and some Black Diamond watermelons. Because of overcrowding we lost all the fruit that formed except for the banana melons, which were productive and delicious. We're creating a new area specifically for melons and vines, so hopefully we won't have the problems we had before and the vines can spread out as much as they want.

I've been wondering what melons other people have had good success with here in the Mid-Atlantic? I keep looking at the catalouges and I just can't decide as all seem delicious and beautiful, like Jenny Lind and Ali Baba watermelon, but I want to find the right ones so I don't run into problems or turn it into a Questing Beast situation, wanting to grow something that just doesn't like my climate. Rich Sweetness 132 from Baker Creek seems like an interesting melon, though looking at the pictures of them they look exactly what I got from ebay as Plum Grannies, which while fragrant, you cannot eat them.

Choctaw Sweet Potato has been looking rather interesting to me for pumpkins/winter squash though.

Please if anybody have any recommendations for a certain variety here in the Mid-Atlantic, please let me know, I want to know what have done well for people in my area so that I may try them for myself.

Thanks!

Max

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best heirloom melons/watermelons/pumpkins for the DelMarVa re

Best cantalope was Pride of Wisconsin. Howden best pumpkin. Only tried watermelon one time think it was Charleston Grey. Steve in Baltimore County.

o
RE: Best heirloom melons/watermelons/pumpkins for the DelMarVa re

Thanks Steve, I'm also in Baltimore County so that information is quite appropriate! I'll give them a shot!

- Max

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here