gardeningwithlcgrace

Delaware?

Lcgrace Mahoney
11 years ago

Hello?!? Is anyone out there?? :)

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

This forum is pretty slow. It picks up in spring when the plant swaps are getting started.

• Slowgal59
    11 years ago

Slowgal here. Looking forward to spring gardening in the First State!

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Hi, I'm in Wilmington.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Isn't it Springtime yet? I keep stopping at the Wmart garden center..... I could just pull up a lawn chair in front of the seed rack and sit with my sketch pad!

11 years ago

I love seeing the various varieties of seeds in the big seed racks. It makes you wonder how the seed companies that do mail order stay in business with the availability of seeds at the big box stores.

I saw our first crocus flower last weekend. Spring is not far away.

11 years ago

Here is a new morning glory which just started flowering late last week; I'm growing them indoors so I can ignore winter.

{{gwi:2127}}

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous!! Amazing that you grow them inside! My windows would love them, but so would my cats. :) Good weather this weekend! Are you ready for it??

• Slowgal59
    11 years ago

Greetings from Sussex County! I am thinking of starting a small herb, veg, flower garden in my yard. Has anyone had any luck with perennials or plants that will reseed? How about basil, for example? I have some Pittsburgh friends that I would like to invite to visit in the spring or early summer. It would be fun send them home with some plants from my yard.

• Slowgal59
    11 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by Slowgal59 on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 15:41

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We just went wild at Home Depot and bought a small tiller this past weekend and made 6 new big garden beds! It's completely unbelievable to us but we didn't hit a single rock!!! (we're from PA too.). We added humus, compost, manure, peat moss, etc... prob could have added 3 x's as many bags to amend our sand. Trying to hold back on planting onion sets! The weather has just been too gorgeous!

i never had luck with basil reseeding in PA.... but plant it and get it going... would be an awesome gift! We've only been here since July of 2012. I'm not sure what's supposed to grow here and how it should behave. :)

Happy Gardening!! Where in Sussex Cty?

• Slowgal59
    11 years ago

I am so impressed with your 6 beds! I'm languishing around recuperating from sinus surgery. Not supposed to pick anything up or bend over for one more week. So I'm having fun making little plans. A few years ago, my husband found us a ramshackle cottage on a large, shady, root infested lot just off Rte 1 near Rehoboth. It has been a labor of love fixing up the place. Whereabouts are you in The First State?

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HAH! We're neighbors (kinda) with more in common than you know! I'm about 1/2 hr North in Lincoln... about 1 mile or so off Route 1 before Milford.

I'll be going in for surgery in a month and will be "light duty" for quite some time. I'm getting all my beds ready and maybe try to plant some seeds tomorrow, just to watch them grow. I'll be working full speed ahead til surgery and then be sitting to recovery. It's going to kill me!!

Take your time and recover.... this is the first nice weather of the year... sit and plan with your sketch pad, check out the other forums and swaps & pics and when you're feeling up to it... make a trip to one of the big box stores just to stare at the seeds! :)

My mom had sinus surgery... no a fun recovery but it's perfect timing and you made it thru! All finished before the Spring blooms & pollen invade you! Take care and keep me posted!!

Have you seen the kitchen garden forum or potager forums? Love them! Flowers and veggies in the same beds... and I even google the terms and look at the pics. I wonder if our public library has any books with pics to keep me busy? If you've got a Rehoboth Library.... hhhmmmm. "eye candy" is what I call it! :)

11 years ago

You all are near some primer nurseries in Delaware. You can go window shopping for possibilities when you become more mobile.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting