Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrieluv2gro

Late Spring flowers in bloom? Flowers for my wedding.

carrieluv2gro
15 years ago

I am getting married June 6, 2009 and was wondering what flowers will be in bloom? I have a ton of Larkspur and various corn poppies in my garden that I direct seeded late fall, as well as batchelor buttons and sweet william which seem to be perennials around here, but I feel like I am missing out on other flowers that I could possibly start in my cold frame and have ready by the wedding date. Could I start sunflowers and zinnias in the coldframe and have blooming by June 6th? Thank you so much.

Comments (6)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

How do you plan to use the flowers? Do you want them for bouquets, flower arrangements? Or do you just want your yard to look nice for the wedding?

• carrieluv2gro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for responding. I plan on making the arrangements for the tables. The wedding is going to be about a half hour from my home.

• oogy4plants
    15 years ago

Hi Carrie,

Here's a few suggestions for your wedding cutting garden: gladiolus, salvia, lilies, and iris. You should probably plant more varieties than you might need so that you are sure to have enough. It's hard to predict when flowers will bloom in any garden. I hope that you have a good friend who can do the cutting and arranging the day before (there's some preservative you can use, I think). You'll probably have more than enough to do.

Susan

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

For a large quantity of blooms to cut, you will probably be better off with annuals than with perennials, especially if you're growing them from seed.

I grow mostly perennials and woody plants, but do have a few thoughts for you.

Zinnias will grow and bloom quickly, but I find the water turns very smelly after just one day; so if you're going to arrange them the day before the wedding, that's a consideration.

Cosmos also grow quickly, make good cut flowers, and should give you masses of blooms in colors ranging from white through pinks to deep red.

Snapdragon is another quick grower, blooming in late spring to early summer.

I hope someone will chime in with more suggestions for you. If not, perhaps try the Cottage Garden forum - there are lots of very friendly and experienced gardeners there from all over the country ... there's bound to be someone who grows annuals in your climate.

Don't forget fillers (like baby's breath, gypsophila) and greens - you can choose from solid or variegated leaves, smooth or rough textures, large & bold leaves or long and narrow, even trailers like ivy, whichever best suits your arrangements and your fancy.

A trusted friend to help with the arrangements sounds like a good idea. Have a wonderful time with the preparations and best wishes on your wedding day.

• carrieluv2gro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond! I spend hours at a time reading through the various forums and just love the wealth of insight. Ivy sounds like a great idea. I am definently going to grow zinnias since they are fast growers but have read they don't like cold damp soil, therefore I was planning on transplanting them into a bed covered with salvaged black plastic. Also growing both perennial and annual Baby's Breath and Snaps which are cool season, but I thought Cosmos only start producing flowers once the soil has warmed for quite some time @ mid-July? Any thoughts on Calendula, Clarkia Coreopsis, and early flowering Sunflowers - if I get a jump start on those indoors and then harden off do you think they will be in bloom by June 6th?

• Whatalottie
    11 years ago

My daughter's getting married (in a barn!!!) the other side of the country (OK Wales, but we're the other side of England) and she's asked me to grow plants for the tables. She sprang this on me yesterday.
    I'm not going to have time to arrange them there so, HELP!!!! Apart from the problems of transporting them. what on earth can I grow? she wants lots of bright colours, and theme needs to be rural/cottage garden.
    Annuals would be good, but I'm almost beyond sowing time for autumn sown annuals. Do you think cornflowers, love-in-a-mist, daisies (Leucamthemum) will be in flower? Herbs perhaps, what else?

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022