Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabassam

best roses for area

tabassam
18 years ago

I'm already dreaming up what to plant/order in the spring. I want a few roses and want to know which ones you consider your favorite bloomer and fragrant and disease resistant? I do not want to spray but I love english roses. Is there any that does well for you?

Tabby

Comments (19)

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tabby, just about every rose in humid Maryland ends up getting at least some blackspot. But since say you love English Roses, I recommend Pat Austin. I remember visiting a test rose garden at Brookside Gardens in Silver Spring a few Augusts ago, and the plants of Pat Austin were the only ones in the plot that weren't completely defoliated by blackspot. Plus, they were blooming profusely and smelled wonderful. I have also had pretty good luck with Austin's Jude the Obscure and Saint Cecilia. I don't spray my roses, so they really don't look as great as they could.

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Tabby, post this in the antique rose forum for some really good suggestions. I've started planting some Old Garden Roses, and some have been quite impressive, although they're still young. My best performer, hands down, has been Ducher. There are a couple of others that retained most of the leaves and were putting out a lot of flowers, and I can look them up if you'd like. I've pretty much given up on Austin roses, because of how badly they defoliate. Heritage has been my best performer in that category.

I probably won't be buying a whole lot more roses because of the prevalance of Rose Rosette Disease in this area. But, I may still add Belinda's Dream and Darlowe's Enigma, both of which are supposed to be bullet proof in this area. If you really want a no-fuss rose, get Knockout (also Blushing Knockout, Double Knockout). Very clean, quite vigorous, a blooming machine.

Suja

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

None of the newer hybrid teas I've tried has been blackspot free, but some were better than others. The best rose for me so far has been Sunsprite (yellow). Floribunda and very fragrant and didn't get much, if any, blackspot.

I second Knockouts for their constant blooms and being totally disease free.

Larry

• tabassam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have 3 knockouts and very impressed with their disease resistance and constant blooms-- they are even in part shade! I've had Belinda's Dream in the past and she was a beauty-- you must get her Suja. I'm going to look up Ducher-I've never heard of this one.

• runktrun
    18 years ago

tabassam,
    I don't grow many roses as I do not like the idea of spraying but the few I grow are 'Abraham Darby' which has a nice scent and is very disease resistant, 'The Fairy' no scent but is a constant bloomer up until Thanksgiving, and of course 'Bonica'. Someone on this form suggested she used Wilt-Pruf to control an outbreak of black spot and it did a pretty good job for her. Since it is made from pine resin and doesn't contain any inorganic materials I wouldn't mind trying it next spring. Katy

• spanaval
    18 years ago

I really didn't want any pink roses, but it looks like I have to give Belinda's Dream a shot. While I'm at it, I might also try out Mrs. B.R. Cant. If I can find the room for her.

I don't know if you are at all considering this idea, but some of the most disease resistant, fragrant, fuss-free roses are once bloomers. A lot of them bloom their heads off for about 6 weeks in early summer, remain very clean with no effort, and some have beautiful hips and even fall foliage. Bonus is that you aren't out there from sun up till sun down trying to pick off those nasty Japanese Beetles, because these will be done by the time they get here. Gives you an extended season of interest, just not the way you would think.

Since I scored one at the fall swap already (and I really, really hope she makes it), I might as well tell you to also look into Hansa (Hybrid Rugosa). Beautiful (some may find the form to be weird), fragrant, and fairly disease resistant in this area, and has orange/red hips.

Suja

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Roses that do well for me (and I have NO full sun in my yard!) include:

- *Climbing Don Juan (dark red rebloomer, very fragrant)
    - Madame Alfred Carrier (white rebloomer, very fragrant)
    - *Madame Isaac Perrier -- white floribunda
    - *C -- blanking on the name -- shell pink floribunda with coral buds
    - Westerland -- hot pink rebloomer for part shade
    - Autumn Sunset -- soft gold-apricot sport of Westerland
    - Buff Beauty

Anything with an asterisk you're welcome to cuttings of if you want to try rooting your own.

I also have a white "Mlle Sombrouil" that is lovely when the humidity doesn't cause the buds to ball, and a two-year-old pink knockout that is also gorgeous but doesn't fit where it's planted -- that one I'd cheerfully trade for a red or red double if someone wants to dig it up.

By the way, I understand that Trier is better than Darlow's Enigma -- Trier is scented, and DE is apparently not...

Lynn

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Lynn, Darlow's Enigma is scented! The nurseries that sell it all mention how fragrant it is - I haven't found the scent to be as powerful as they say, but it still smells great. And yes, DE is another one I grow and recommend, along with the Fairy (which somebody mentioned earlier).

• Arl_Tom
    18 years ago

Roseraie de l'H has done very well fo me so far. It is very disease resistant and has a wonderful scent. It is a rugosa rose and does not like to be sprayed. I got mine by mail order from Carroll Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find: Roses

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

I wouldn't give up Zephirine Drouhin even though in the last couple of years it has gotten a little black spot. I followed Alfie's advice & cut back my Abraham Darby during Japanese beetle season. It was great before & afterward - blooming until the first frost. You also don't get much black spot that way. I think it may be better to enjoy roses from a distance so you don't have a close view of either black spot or the beetle orgies. I don't have a stomach for either.
    Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: My Favorite, Abraham Darby

• gardengranma
    18 years ago

I would stick with own root, disease-resistant roses. I have a considerable number of them, and they look great until about july and then again in the fall when it is cooler. I have been able manage without spraying but considerable watering and fertilization. This winter I am going to use Horticultural oil. I may try organic methods for those that have some black spot anyway to see if that improves the hot summer duldrums. Last year the bane of my existence were the beetles.

• oath5
    18 years ago

Roseraie de l'Häy- rugosa

Mutabilis- China
    This will defoliate here about 40 to 60% but is pretty and will bounce back quickly.

Most gallicas do very well here if you want to consider once bloomers.

Anyway, it's better to go OGR than modern roses if you don't want to spray.

• lynnt
    18 years ago

A wonderful source for own-root roses in the DC area is Nick Weber's Heritage Rosarium off Georgia Ave in Olney MD -- Nick has an open house every Memorial Day weekend where you can see five acres of roses in full bloom and buy bands he has rooted for reasonable prices. Most of my roses came from Nick.

LynnT

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Olga, as always, your input is so welcome. The pictures are absolutely stunning. I think that I am going to spend the next year getting rid of all the multiflora on the property, and then think about expanding the flower beds. DE is definitely going in, and it is nice to know that not everything that is resistant is some shade of pink. I'm going to keep close tabs on Ducher and provide input on its disease resistance as it gets older. If it keeps on performing as well as it has, I think that you will be happy with it.

Tabby, Olga and Lori are two of the people who frequent the antique rose forum whose input I pay serious attention to. My experience with roses at least has closely paralleled theirs.

Suja

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Olga, you're right of course -- I got the two Madames -- Carrier and Perrier -- mixed up. And the shell-pink climber is Cornelia, which I grow interlaced with clematis Betty Corning.

LynnT

• myloki
    18 years ago

I'm hesitant to add to this thread because I think MD has a different strain of BS than we do in VA, but I'll add a few things...
    Olga gave some great recommendations and is a knowledgeable rosarian with excellent advice - esp. for your area.
    Rugosas are an excellent choice for disease resistant repeat bloomers. And as Suja said, Hansa, is a lovely, fragrant choice among them.
    I have found a few gallicas to BS - namely, Cardinal de Richelieu, but mostly, they are clean.
    I've had good luck with most Chinas and Teas, but Olga's experience has not always been the same.
    Skip the Hybrid Teas. And most of the Austins. I like Tamora and Sharifa Asma.
    I'm the one that used Wilt-Pruf. I tried it years ago and found it to be pretty effective at getting an outbreak under control. I haven't used it in years (mostly due to time).
    I do strongly believe in a winter application of dormant oil (horticultural oil.) The year I missed it, I had more blackspot than ever in the fall (it was a very rainy year - the year of Isabelle I think). I use it around mid February, when I am beginning to prune and fertilize. The leaf buds should be just breaking and weather should still be cool to cold.

• tabassam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh gosh, I'm drooling over Olga's pictures-- now if I only had enough room and money.

• dani33
    9 years ago

Hi. I am new to roses and am looking for a pink rose brush for my front yard. I am having a new 8ft front porch built now and when it's done, I want to plant a pink rose bush (or 2) in front of it. It will be in full sun most of the time and I am in zone 6. I like the floribunda ones I've seen online. I am looking for a lot of blooms :) I am also looking for something relatively easy to maintain. I am not all that impressed with knockout roses.. I'm looking for something that is prettier up close. I like Belinda's Dream, but I don'tow how well it would do over the harsh winters we have. Any suggestions? Ty in advance :)

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County