Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmpalmerton

A newbie with milkweed.

vmpalmerton
9 years ago

I so want to grow milkweed. I've tried from seed and never had success. So I would love to try again if anyone is willing to send some seeds or starts. Most importantly, advise.

Comments (5)

• Mary Leek
    9 years ago

What part of Oregon do you live in, rainy or dry? Also, what variety of milkweed were you attempting to grow? Answers to these questions will help with advice.

Mary

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I'd recommend Asclepias incarnata for almost any residential gardener. It's a favorite of the Monarchs, and it doesn't take over the garden like Common Milkweed can, but it's still very easy to grow. Though, Common milkweed in a pot could work well. Incarnata doesn't need stratification as much as some other native varieties, since it grows in the warmer regions of the country, so might be a good choice for planting this time of year.

Martha

• fromnc2fl
    9 years ago

Just purchased 2 milkweed plants (yellow flowers) at the garden center (that was all they had) after reading about the monarchs. I want to get some seeds and small plants to add to my butterfly/humming bird area in my yard. I'm not really sure as to how to get seeds started - i.e. do I plant them in the ground or start them in pots and then plant. I know nothing at all about milkweed but I want to have a garden area for the monarchs. I have had 2 monarchs at the milkweed plants that I planted last week. Any advice would be appreciated.

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

To start from seed, check the Wintersowing forum here on Gardenweb. If you want small seedlings, I have quite a lot of A. incarnata sprouting in pots. I should see how the seedlings I sent to a couple other butterfly folk survived their trip across the country. If they did OK, I'd send you some. Postage was between $16 and $25. It may be less expensive to wait until fall and I could send you seeds. Or, you could buy more plants locally.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Well, both fellow butterfly gardeners say their milkweed seedlings survived the trip through the mail. I still have seedlings in pots, but I worry as the weather gets hotter, travel gets more risky. Maybe I could leave them in potting medium.

Martha

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia