Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hortster

Dividing A. tuberosa?

hortster
9 years ago

This is a picture of my A. tuberosa just beginning to emerge. There must be a hundred new stems getting ready to grow and give a great show this year. It absolutely swarms with bees and butterflies when in bloom.

First, let me say that I know A. tuberosa wasn't an easy transplant for me. I collected this one at a terrible time of year - in full leaf and bloom in June, but I was out of state and that is the only way I could pick the color. It was in one of the largest patches I have seen along a highway right-of-way with every color from yellow orange to red orange. It surprised me when I dug it as it had a very large and broad root. I topped it completely before digging. Anyway, I kept the root moist and got it back into the ground again the same day. It struggled the remainder of that year, barely sending up six or seven weak sprouts and I thought it was lost. But, gradually over the years it has become a very large and beautiful plant as you can see.

Now, after describing that butchery, has anyone dug and divided A. tuberosa with reasonable success?

If so, is there any special technique and time of year (when dormant or just emerging?)? As large and showy as it has become I am torn as to whether to try and divide it or just keep propagating from seed. Advice, experience and thoughts?

hortster

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus