Return to the Milkweed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing A. tuberosa?

Posted by hortster 6B S.central KS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 15:39

This is a picture of my A. tuberosa just beginning to emerge. There must be a hundred new stems getting ready to grow and give a great show this year. It absolutely swarms with bees and butterflies when in bloom.

First, let me say that I know A. tuberosa wasn't an easy transplant for me. I collected this one at a terrible time of year - in full leaf and bloom in June, but I was out of state and that is the only way I could pick the color. It was in one of the largest patches I have seen along a highway right-of-way with every color from yellow orange to red orange. It surprised me when I dug it as it had a very large and broad root. I topped it completely before digging. Anyway, I kept the root moist and got it back into the ground again the same day. It struggled the remainder of that year, barely sending up six or seven weak sprouts and I thought it was lost. But, gradually over the years it has become a very large and beautiful plant as you can see.

Now, after describing that butchery, has anyone dug and divided A. tuberosa with reasonable success?

If so, is there any special technique and time of year (when dormant or just emerging?)? As large and showy as it has become I am torn as to whether to try and divide it or just keep propagating from seed. Advice, experience and thoughts?

hortster

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing A. tuberosa?

I can't help with your question as I've never attempted to divide A tuberosa but I wanted to thank you for sharing this photo. I would never have guessed this plant would eventually grow to such a monstrous size. This is absolutely amazing!

My A tuberosa plants also attract a lot of visitors and I would never want to be without this variety of milkweed in my butterfly garden.

If this plant was growing in my garden, I would not attempt to divide it, for fear I'd kill it.

Please consider posting another photo, once it begins to bloom.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Milkweed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here