o
antelope horn in tx

Posted by lenahall 7b (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:15

check out this beauty!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: antelope horn in tx

Is that photo from this season? I'm so jealous that you have blooms. Is that plant in your yard, or in the wild somewhere? I'm just starting to see the first buds breaking ground this week on my native milkweeds. They are about the very last perennials to return each spring, but they always make it, so far. Hope everyone has a successful season.

Martha

o

hi there. we were in stephenville, tx for 2 weeks and came across these plants, growing wild on someone's ranch. i asked and they do not bush hog as it is so dry, the grass and weeds don't get too high. there were a lot of MW growing along the roadsides as well!
here in GA my swamp MW is about 2 ft tall, waiting and hoping that the seeds i sowed last year will pop up. (i have a seeded bed that is a total wait and see - i'm only pulling up things like buttercup and dead nettle, that i know i didn't plant). the MW i discovered in the ditch by our road is growing - gotta figure out how to get the road crew NOT to mow it.... hoping a sign will suffice. here is another pic of a cat that was munching on more of the antelope horn MW in TX.

o

The first pic with the narrow leaves looks like Asclepias asperula. The second one with the larger leaves might be Asclepias viridis, not sure, however.

o

Double post.

This post was edited by linda_tx8 on Sat, May 24, 14 at 1:32

o

LOVED seeing your pics on this gorgeous native here. I wonder if you might have access to some seeds? I've got some white rain lilies, zephranthes drummondii, if you'd care to trade.

They are such a great native. Glad you got such beautiful pictures.
Xtal

o

hi there xtal. i don't actually live in tx, was just out there on vacation and came across the milkweed. sorry.

o

xtal, I've recently collected some seeds for A. asperula, if you'd like to have some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Milkweed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here