Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Asclepias fruticosa - better known as Swan Plant or African Milk

Mary Leek
9 years ago

Just want to let everyone know: I tried growing Asclepias fruticosa in place of Asclepias Physocarpus Oscar this year and so far, it is a real magnet for Monarchs looking for a place to lay their eggs. I've collected over 40 eggs since yesterday morning. I'm afraid I might not have enough milkweed to feed out many more cats, if most of the eggs hatch. I hate to leave the eggs out there, if more are laid, because of the wasps, but I would also hate to have the little cats starve for lack of milkweed. I guess you can never have enough milkweed.

I've raised Oscar in the past, but I'm going to plant the A. fruticosa from now on as it's a bit shorter so works better in my area of heavy rainstorms, it blooms far more for me than Oscar and so far, appears to put out more side shoots, which provides more leaves for food. While I've found eggs on Oscar before, never in such numbers as I'm seeing this year. Might only be because it's about the only milkweed in town! Actually, I also have Common and Showy with a small amount of new growth (love those big leaves). I'll have to have a few more growing seasons to evaluate, but for now, the A fruticosa seems to be well appreciated by mama Monarch.

Hope everyone is having a good season.

Mary

Comments (2)

Sponsored