Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflowerman_2000

Asclepias variegata(Redring Milkweed Seed)

Hi Folks,
That time of year has arrived and ctnchpr has graciously collected and donated seed again from his plants of Asclepias variegata . I have processed the seed and packaged them and will attempt to distribute them for them. I have 24 packets of 25+ seeds each to distribute. These seed will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis. The viability looks like it will be low-hence the large number of seed in each packet. Please respond to my private email and NOT on this thread. Those that do use this thread will slip to the bottom of the list. My email address is : wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com . Please put 'Redring Milkweed' in the subject line. Those emails arriving with no subject line will be automatically deleted for security reasons.
Upon receipt of your request I will respond with my mailing address and ask that you send two (2) first class stamps and after receiving them I will forward your seed. Happy Growing!
Regards,
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

wildflowerman_2000

Comments (19)

• Mark (wildflowerman_2000) Rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    I just wanted to drop everyone a quick note regarding the Asclepias variegata seed status. I have been dealing with some serious health issues and will be having back surgery on 12/13 and will be away for a couple of weeks. Because of this problem I've gotten behind and am just getting the last of the orders out yesterday and today. I really apologize for this delay to those folks. I do still have a couple of packets available though so drop me a note if you still want some but it may be a delay in my getting back with you so be patient.
    Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Regards,

• dbarron
    10 years ago

Thank you for letting us know. I know the way these things happen, i went to dr last week for bronchitis (I thought), I have to go back for pulmonary and cardiac testing.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    After my status report yesterday I received several more request and the Asclepias variegata seed from ctnchpr are all spoken for for this year. I hope everyone who got them has good luck with them.
    Regards,

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mark, for getting these out to all of us. We appreciate your time and effort. Hope you are recovering from your back surgery.

Sandy

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

Thank you soooo much for the seeds, I greatly appreciate it. They will fit in nicely with the new butterfly gardens around here.

I hope you have a speedy and easy recovery!
    Happy New Year!

• Geo Helu
    7 years ago

I live one block away from Mill Creek Park in Youngstown, Ohio. I would like to find a source for Asclepias variegata (seed/cutting).

Thanks!

• Daniel Sanchez
    7 years ago

I, too am looking for a source for seeds/cuttings/roots/plants (any option).

Thank you,

Danny

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've been getting lots of request already this year for seeds of Asclepias variegata. I have communicated with Dennis (ctnchpr) and he has already started a new thread called "white milkweed,2016". He will be handling the distribution of the seed himself if they do indeed make viable seed. I would recommend you check this thread often to keep up with the progress and he will notify us when and if seed are available.

Regards,

Mark Rose (wildflowerman_2000)

Here is the link for the white milkweed,2016 thread:

forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3933086/white-milkweed-2016?n=7

• jtmath2
    7 years ago

Hey Mark have you heard of any seeds yet ? (REDRING)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Nothing so far but keep checking. I'm headed to a site that I have gotten seed from in the past this coming weekend. I haven't been able to visit any earlier in the season so I don't even know if there was any seed set.

• jtmath2
    7 years ago

Mark I'll check back with you first of the week or so ! Thank you

• kchernicky
    7 years ago

Hi Mark: I've been searching and searching for redring milkweed seeds. Do you have any available? Thank you.

• jtmath2
    7 years ago

Hey Mark are you still checking for redring seeds anything yet????

Original Author
    7 years ago

I have exhausted all my sources and nothing this year. Please check the thread "White Milkweed, 2016" posted earlier today. ctnchpr has seed and offered them this morning so you will need to check with him.

• HU-718132987
    3 years ago

Old thread but its all I find when searching redring seeds for sale. Amazing that I see only a couple redring seed sellers on etsy and one on the growmilkweed site! Talk about rare!

• dbarron
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The thing is..it's not rare (at least in the woods here), but apparently difficult to cultivate in captivity. I had great germination the year Mark sent me some (3 or 4 years ago), however, not a one of them overwintered.
    But A. perennis, which seems to be easy to grow, did the same behavior..of course drainage in wet springs here can be bad for many plants, so that may be my problem.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Go for it. You won't find a better deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redring-Milkweed-Asclepias-variegata-15-Seeds-from-2020-/293867238274

I see A. variegata seeds on Etsy for $25, but they don't say how many seeds you get.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

This is an excellent place to find Asclepias seeds. Prices fluctuate according to each species availability, so seeds for the rarer species are more expensive. A large, unified base of suppliers. I think 2020 hasn't been a good year for variegata setting seed. Seeds were more plentiful last year.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner