Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazyweeder

HAVE: Winter Blues Seed Swap

lazyweeder
18 years ago

When: Sunday January 29th 12:00-?

Where: CheriMN's home

Mark your calendars for the Winter Blues Seed Swap. Bring your seeds, gardening books, and a snack to share. If you plan on attending please post below and we'll send you an email with all the details about 10 days before the swap. If your not going to attend but would like to participate in the swap get your packages in the mail (email me for details)

Dave

Comments (39)

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Yes, I will be there with my seeds. I have been looking everyday lately to find out when this would be happening.

Pauline

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I too have been waiting for this post. Count me in!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting all who I haven't yet had the privilege of meeting!

Now to start sorting and packaging seeds!

Sandy

• jel48
    18 years ago

It's here, it's finally here :-)

It sure is good to have Christmas and New Years in the past and spring to look forward to.... although it is a long long look forward :-)

Please add me to the list Dave!

Joyce

• Julie
    18 years ago

YAAA-HOOOO!!
    Let the party begin! The 2nd Annual Mn Winter Blues Seed Swap!
    I am so glad a date has been posted!
    Cheri - Thank you so much for hosting this event again!! You are such a great gal to open your house and welcome us all once again!! Let me know what I can do to help!
    Dave- Thanks for posting- but what are we to e-mail you about? There is a post already about opening the swap to out of towners and folks who want to participate who cannot make it. It has been up quite a while- did you miss it? I have sent out a letter to those who have responded- will you be directing inquiries to the other post? Or are you planning something different?
    It will be great to get together once again! I will have plenty of seeds to share with folks- so don't worry if think you may not have enough- I believe there will be plenty to go around. And I am sure- just as last year- even if you have no seeds to share you will be welcome! We had a few folks who brought garden markers- plastic pots - homemade lotions - houseplant cuttings - and other "garden related" items to share instead of and as well as seeds. A great feature was- the seeds and such were all "served" buffet style! Laid out for any or all to help themselves to what ever they like. It is more sharing and giving of things, friendship and knowledge than just seeds at a swap.
    I am looking forward to meeting new friends- and catching up with my buddies who are able to make the day!
    I hope to see you there-
    Julie

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Me! Me! I'll be there if at all possible! :)

-Marie

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Me and my seeds - we'll be there.
    Rick

• Greenthumb
    18 years ago

I hope to be there, too, provided I don't get sick again, like last year. (:o( (all sorts of people are already hacking at work.)

I'll have to check and see what seeds I might have (I may have to buy some seeds so I can trade... (:o) I'd really like to attend just to meet all/most of the people that frequent this forum. I have met a few of the people already.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

So glad it is on a Sunday! I will be there! Didn't harvest too many seeds this year, but will bring what I have. I am just as excited to get together with my MN gardening buds and have some fun. Shall I bring the wine again? LOL

Linda

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

Yes :) Yes :) Yes :)
    Happy to say, I will be "comin' 'round the mountain",not drivin'6 white horses, but with as many seeds in hand as I can rassle to the ground!
    Suz

• dentaybow
    18 years ago

Rick - if you happened to save some of the seed from that Big Bluestem....would you nuke'um (or do whatever it is you did last year) and stuff a few in my envelope? I saved seed from mine...but they set seed so late I am not sure about the viability. Obviously, I want more!
    Jan

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

OH NO! There's a HUGE problem with this date...

It's the Saint Paul Winter Carnival - and the Frosty Fingers Kite Fly is at EXACTLY the same time as the swap!!! My family will string me up if I don't go to that (and I don't want to miss it either...) What can I do??? I really need to hit this swap, I have seeds and need some, but need to see what is available!!

-Marie

• vogt0047
    18 years ago

Have fun everyone! I won't be able to make it. Hubby and I are exhibiting at our first trade show in New York that weekend. If anyone happens to see some heirloom veggie seeds.... think of me ;)

• leftwood
    18 years ago

I hope everyone is keeping their seed exchange list up to date. It can give us all, including Marie (I'm so sorry!), a preview of what's to come.

Jan, I do still big bluestem seed - both kinds, and for you and others. But it's something YOU did to make them grow monsterlike. I'll be interested to hear the final dimensions.

Rick

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Please send me details; thanks!

• jmsje
    18 years ago

Please count me in! This will be fun, I can't wait to meet everyone.
    MJ

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

MJ

I am not sure what is up, but I just looked up your info and the listing for your e-mail address is my address!

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"If your not going to attend but would like to participate in the swap get your packages in the mail (email me for details"

This should have read email JulieMN for details as she is handling the out of towners. Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Wanted: Out of Town-MN GW Winter Blues Seed Swap Participants

• jmsje
    18 years ago

Pauline

I think the gardenweb was having technical difficulties yesterday. I know several members in the seed exchange were having problems with viewing trade lists. I checked out my page today and it seems to have all my info and email address listed correctly. thanks

MJ

• lynnsherbs
    18 years ago

Please add me to the list. Looking forward to seeing you all!

Lynn

• lonemuchow
    18 years ago

Blinds, blinds!!!!
    did you guys need them for plant markers for the seed swap , I still have them sitting around here, so let me know if anyone is interested in coming up here to pick them up.
    Lone

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nine days to go till the swap. I just sent an email (Julie, thanks for typing it up) with details of the swap to everyone who has posted so far. It's not too late to join in the fun. Just send me an email if you'd like to come.

If you can't make it and would like to join in the fun see Julie's post for the out of towners.

Dave

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Lone - My plan is this weekend to pick up the blinds. My daughter is coming to visit on Saturday so if she feels up to it (she's due with my 1st grandchild shortly), I will see if we can come on Saturday. If not, it will be on Sunday. I have saved your address so will map quest it. Will give you a call ahead of time.

There will be markers for all and then some at the swap!!

Thanks Lone for being patient with me on picking them up. Have had our family friend in the hospital since mid Dec that I am dealing with.

Sandy

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I have been waiting and waiting for the seed swap, now that it is just around the corner I need to get myself in gear and complete packaging and marking. I'm I the only one who waits for the last minute?

Pauline

• tammymn
    18 years ago

Count me in too I will be there. I didn't make it last year but if someone could answer this question would be great. Approximately how many people are coming to the party? DO I make that many envelopes of each seeds I have to trade? I am trying to avoid more work if possible. Thanks Tammy

• lazyweeder
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tammy,

You can either make up a number of envelopes of each or just bring one big envelope for people to help themselves.

Dave

• Julie
    18 years ago

Hey there Dave-
    Your welcome! Thank you for the oppertunity to write it up!
    Tammy-
    I second the motion to bring what you can/want- the way you want to- but I made a resolution for myself- I want to packet most up into individual sized packets.
    Last year I didn't take time to seperate some of my seeds into individual packets- and felt a little twinge of remorse as 1 bag of seeds that could have been shared at least 20 times over was claimed by a delighted soul and stashed away. Don't get me wrong- I was very happy to share and put a smile on someones face and bring joy- and I felt very good that I knew the seeds would grow on- but I wished I had taken the time to allow that to happen to more folks by seperating the seeds. I also felt a twinge of guilt that it was so easy to go through others offerings of seeds which were individually wrapped up than those of mine which were not-you had to try to find a bag to put the seeds in- and scoop a few seeds into it- then find a pen to label the bag. It took time- but, every one who did just that with the bulk seeds I brought- were happy to do that to have the seeds.
    I- even with the best of intentions of individually wrapping packets- will be bringing a couple of bulk packages again- but most are individually wrapped up.
    I have many types of seeds to share. When I had a bunch of seeds of a single variety- I packed up about 4-8 packets of each. Some more- and some I only have 1 packet to share.
    There are no fast rules - we all seem to give and share what we can- and are happy to do so- and are appreciative of what comes our way- how ever it arrives.
    I look forward to Sunday!
    Julie

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Julie, Thanks for writting. I too am trying to put seeds in individual packets, I had planned on leaving any at home that I didn't have time to divide, now I know if I run out of time I can bring along a large pkt. I will also bring along some empty pkts. and a marker so that if I need them I have them. See you next Sunday.

Pauline

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

The quantities I have left aren't huge, but since I don't know which will be popular, I'm probably not going to make separate packets. Since that might be the case with others, I'm going to bring some extra envelopes for myself -- a good use for junk mail envelopes

• Julie
    18 years ago

Ok- now for the important stuff- Whacha bringing to eat?
    I havn't decided yet......

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Julie,

I have been reading "Notes from an Italian Garden" and she keeps talking about salad so I will probably bring one. Wish that we had fresh greens right now.

Pauline

• jel48
    18 years ago

Everyone ready? I've been making seed packets and baking cookies (Oatmeal Raison) almost all day! It'll be fun to see everyone again, and I can't wait to see what treasures I'll bring home.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Baking cookies all day! LOL Dave, how many people did you say were coming? Well, I do have enough of some seeds for an army. Oatmeal raisin, mmmm . . . très bon!

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Due to some last-minute travel, I can't make it. Thinking of you all and missing what is no doubt a jolly time!

• jel48
    18 years ago

Great swap, everyone! It was good to see all of you today and now I've got a great bunch of seeds to look forward to starting too!

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Oh what great fun. I get to play with my seeds today. I almost took them with me to the clay center last night so I could look at them and sort them, but I restrained myself. I worked on some garden tiles instead.

Thank you one and all. Thank you CheriMN for opening up your home to us.

Pauline

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

*POUT* I'm so glad you all had a great time! Wish so much to have been there...

The dedication we had to attend that morning ran long, then the weather was horrible so no kite flying either. Wound up going to the gathering after the dedication, which was nice - but I was secretly dreaming of seeds all afternoon.

-Marie

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Marie, maybe we could hold a post-swap swap! I couldn't make it either, and at the last minute which, believe me, hurt. Another month and cabin fever will have at least some of these folks eager for more plant-talk and swapping, I bet.

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Leaves,
    Hmmmm... I did get my seeds sent off to Julie so I know those got swapped out... I don't have any left but I'm sure that very soon there'll be the noises of "Oh My Goodness! What have I DONE!! I've created a MONSTER!" with all the starts that get going and those'll need swapping very badly!

-Marie

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Sorry I missed it! Sounds like you all had fun, how many of you were able to attend?
    Boy, if this weather pattern holds, we may be planting sooner that we think! LOL

Linda

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting