Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

wanted: 2006 gw spring swap

leftwood
18 years ago

This yearÂs GW Spring Swap is on Sunday, June 11, 12 pm at my house, 9 miles west of the Arboretum and north of Waconia.

Come as early as 11am if youÂd like to tour my yard first (or whatever). Stay as long as you like.

Post here if you are coming or may come. IÂll email you with directions about 2 weeks before the event.

You certainly donÂt have to bring plants to come! There will always be extra plants. But of course, first picks will be reserved for contributors. Any trades set up before hand will have their separate area. Contributors: please take back any leftover materials at the end of the swap.

A word about food:

I do not drink coffee; I do not like coffee; I do not have coffee (except instant for the diehards). If someone would like to bring a coffeemaker and coffee, we can certainly set it up. I am a tea drinker of all kinds, and have several teapots (a collection, sort of) at our disposal, and other beverages too.

Now don't forget to post!

Rick

Comments (41)

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I should be able to make it, Rick! WooHoo! I may bring a friend or two as well.

So are we only having coffee, then, or should we bring food, too?

Linda

• lazyweeder
    18 years ago

I'll be there!

Dave

• oknish
    18 years ago

Hi: I have never posted before, but this sounds like something that I would like to do. I live west about 40 miles from Waconia. Tell me what I need to do and bring.
    Thanks alot - have a great SPRING - OrDella K

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

I'm still planning on coming..

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Wouldn't miss it!

-Marie

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What do you need to bring? Just yourself.

It has become a sort of makeshift potluck for whoever wants to contribute, but please don't think it is expected. I didn't bring anything (except plants) last year, and you don't even need to do that.

I will have beverages here, but someone else needs to bring coffee if they want it. And as I said, food is purely voluntary, and could be anything from chips to cookies to casseroles to lemonade.

Rick

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

Count me in!!
    Hope we have a huge turn-out and we get to meet tons of new people....it's so nice to put a face (attached to a person) along with your garden web handles!
    LOL

• jel48
    18 years ago

I'll be there!

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

My calendar is marked for the Annual Spring Swap at Ricks on June 11th!!!!

I can bring a large coffee pot and coffee along with some treats!! And of course some plants and other items to swap!!!

See everyone in June!!!

Sandy

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I will be there and probably John too. I will be bring food to share, plants and hopefully will take home fewer than I bring with me.

I can't wait to see your garden Rick.

Pauline

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

*LAUGH* Rick - that was a serious *hint* on the lemonade, wasn't it!!

I'm also bringing a jar of our maple syrup though I'm not sure what it'll go on yet...

-Marie

• cailleachmn
    18 years ago

Totally planning on it!

• karenn3
    18 years ago

I posted on the forum too, But I will be there. Karen

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Marie . . . er . . . ah, yes. Glad you had your radar on. It was most delicious.

Rick

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

I can bring some misc. extras, but I'd like to set up some specific trades if anyone's interested in some of the plants I have.

• lynnsherbs
    18 years ago

Please count me in, Rick. I'm looking forward to seeing you yard/garden in green! By the way, I stuck my cuttings in the garden and have been watering them daily. I'm getting leaves! Thanks again!

Lynn

• mantorvillain
    18 years ago

I'm hoping to bring stuff up from Mantorville
    Will

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

New development: Had 12 family members over for Easter, and since we've been having get togethers more often at my house, my brother said to keep the coffeemaker. (He probably has 3 or 4 anyway.)

So, no one needs to bring that, but you STILL need to bring the coffee grounds if you want coffee to drink.

Rick

• doublec
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm totally new to Gardening/this group but I would love to participate! I'm sad that I don't have many extra plants to bring, since I'm so new to gardening most of my plants started from seeds have died so I don't have much to trade this year. I might have some basil or other herbs as I'm learning to propagate those. I would love to bring some food to make up for my lack of plants. I'm just hoping to meet other gardeners and to learn some tips so as to save time/money/headaches the next time around!

Connie

• Julie
    18 years ago

This will be a great get together!
    I am looking forward to seeing you all again- and meeting a few new faces as well!
    If all goes well- I will have "just a few" ;-)seedlings to share again- and maybe "a few" gallon perennials too!
    I will bring and some goodies to share as well some coffee grounds too- and cream, as I one of those die hard coffee drinkers.
    I will be cleaning out the garden shed again and may bring more garden related "Junque"- I don't think I will have any books to donate this time though- And if any one has extra plastic pots- you know 3" to gallons- squares or rounds- those are always appreciated (especially by me)!
    I am not sure I will be able to update my list to show all I have to trade- but you are welcome to check it and ask! I will be happy to look at others wants and see if I can oblige!
    Hey Rick- did you want a few chairs brought over too?? How about paper products- plates- silverware- cups napkins? I may have a few of these to contribute.
    Thanks again for being this Springs most gracious host! Please let me know if I can help with anything!
    Julie

• jel48
    18 years ago

Bad news... for me. I just found out that my stepson's high school graduation is at 2 pm... June 11 :-(

I'll try to find some way to get plants to the swap though. Maybe even take Rick up on his 11 am tour and leave for home about the time the rest of you are arriving. Will have to see about that. Or, Mantorvillian, maybe you and I can work out a deal, if youd have room to take a few of my plants and seedlings along...

• sjmarq
    18 years ago

I'd like to come too. I think it's a work weekend for my husband so I'll have to find a sitter for my kids but Grandma lives up there so it may all work out.

• rosebacopa2
    18 years ago

I work (Lowes garden center) till 1 but will come right after that. Does the actual excange happen at 12???
    Lynn

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am thinking to start the actual swap at 1:00pm round-abouts. Which Lowes, Lynn?

I will have two picnic tables for outside or in the garage if raining, 13 chairs for inside the house, and 4 small folding chairs. Any more that might be needed would be appreciated.

Have paper plates and napkins, and some cups, and no plastic silverware at the moment.

Joyce (Jel48), sorry you may not be able to come. A special private showing is always a possibility for you (or anyone) when you make it up this way.

Rick

• may8
    18 years ago

Me too! Rick, I look forward to seeing your garden and visiting with everyone again. Unfortunately, I am not good at starting seeds. Therefore, no seedlings to bring. I do have raspberries, daylilies, pink or white lily-of-the-valley, house plants, etc. - nothing fancy. Please let me know if you are interested in any of them. I do like easy to grow flowers, fruits, berries, tomatoes, vegies and herbs.

• zennenn
    17 years ago

I would love to come too, although I'm brand new! I don't know lots of latin names for things, and some things in my garden are a mystery, but my garden beds need some serious thinning and I went a little overboard on seed starting! I will do my best on the labels for my plants, I'll look up as many plants as I can on the internet.

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Don't worry about the latin names. Bring what you can and most likely you will go home with more than your brought. I for one plan on working at not bringing home as much as I bring. I went overboard on winter sowing.

See you there.

Pauline

• falcon
    17 years ago

I am new to your swap and would love to attend, I will bring my little garden orphans to your party and help them find homes.

• leftwood
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just sent out final info and directions to the 2006 GW Swap via the "Send me an email" option on your member pages. If you need more information, or I goofed in any way or I missed someone (sorry), drop me a line.

cailleachmn, zenpenn and falcon: you do not have a "send me an email" option on your member page, and I cannot contact you. Send me an email with your email address, and I will get the directions to you.

This swap will be a fun time for all!

Rick

• shmea123
    17 years ago

Hi, I didn't even know this forum existed! How great! I live in Minneapolis and I would love to come to the swap. I need directions!
    Deah

• leftwood
    Original Author
    17 years ago

shmea123, love to have you! But you have no "send me an email" option on your member page. I cannot contact you. Click on "leftwood" (above) and go to my member page. Send me an email with your email address.

Rick

• rosebacopa2
    17 years ago

HI Rick,
    SOrry took a while to get back to you.
    I work at the new Lowes in Plymouth, Garden center on weekends just to do something fun....
    Stop in sometime!
    Lynn

• oknish
    17 years ago

Hi: I am planning on coming and also bring some of my extra plants along for anyone that would like them. Thanks
    OrDella

• adamterrie
    17 years ago

Hi,

I just discovered "Garden Web" today, got registered, found this forum and learned of the plant swap this Sunday (all while I am supposed to be "working" . . . hmmmm). I am quite new to the hobby, but have a few little runners that I could dig up and bring with. Could I please get directions. Thanks much.

• leftwood
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Adamterrie makes number 25+, if everyone comes. Hmmm . . . gonna need more chairs. If ya got'em, bring'em. Looks like we will all be able to sample fresh honeyberries!

Rick

• jel48
    17 years ago

Have fun, everyone! I can't make it because of my stepson's graduation, but Will (Mantorvillian) will be bringing all the veggie seedlings that I have left. Sure hope someone can use them.

• mantorvillain
    17 years ago

I'll be bringing Joyce's things and will dig out some extra folding chairs. I've been out labelling things (that I know the name of LOL) but had to come in to warm up...man its chilly! Anyhow this is what I have so far:
    Daylilies (gal pots):
    Winnie the Pooh
    Unnamed but nice 'orchid' tone
    Tall midseason dbl orange - new foliage comes up
    variegated

Blue Fall Aster
    Rudbekia L??? the tall single flowered one (hmmm)
    Brugmansia (rooted cuttings in gal. pots)
    Dr. Seuse
    Pink Sauvolens
    Ecudor Pink
    Milk n Honey
    forget the next but its labeled
    Purple opium poppies
    Double Purple Datura
    White Hisbiscus (seedlings from trade)
    Sunset Giants Marigolds
    Rudbekia Goldsturm seedlings - seem to come pretty true.
    False Indigo (Baptisia) seelings

OK, I'm warmed up now so better go back outside.
    Looking forward to tomorrow as I'm certain you all are.
    Will

• jel48
    17 years ago

And I'm missing out on the swap and the tour of Rick's place (will gladly take you up on your offer of a makeup tour sometime later on, Rick). But, as a wonderful consolation prize, I had a great tour of Will's garden in Mantorville this afternoon. What a beautiful place he has! Thanks, Will, for the tour and for taking my seedlings to the swap!

I didn't make any trades ahead of time, because I found out fairly early, that I couldn't make it to the swap. BUT.... if anyone has anything that they just know I'd love... Will has offered to bring it home for me :-) Just in case :-) And, if not, that's fine too!

One more time, have fun everyone. You can tell that I'm hating missing out on the fun, can't you? Someone take pics and post them somewhere if you get the chance, ok?

• leftwood
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think it is safe to say a good time was had by all.

Thanks Marie for the wonderful GW collection of poems. If anyone missed it, I can send you a copy via snail mail if you send me your address.

Thanks all for the great eats. And thanks everyone for stepping in and making the food thing happen. I was neglectful of that duty, and I am sure glad I have GW friends I can count on. As many of you know, for me it's all about the plants.

The wide aray of plant materials brought is a testament to the varied tastes we have. Always an interesting and learning environment for all.

And maybe most of all, thanks everyone for the clean up. Not a one orphan plant was left behind ant the end of the day for me to deal with, and the house is tidy.

Al in all, a very satisfying day.

And as the sun warmed at the end of the day (when everyone had left), my cactuses blossumed.

Rick

• leftwood
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my: the typos on my post! And the innuendo! Well, a lot of you already know how I can put several feet in my mouth; and that I don't mean anything by it, really.

Rick

• may8
    17 years ago

Rick, thanks for hosting the swap! You have a GREAT garden! I enjoyed seeing everyone again and meeting some new people.

Thank you everyone for your plants, especially Laura, Marie, Susie and Lynn, for bring me special plants.

Laura, did you and your son try my hot dish? I made it especially for you. I was afraid that the ground turkey could get spoiled and heat it up in the mircowave. When I took it out, I could not find you.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus