Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selkie_b

WANTED: Urgent Plea for this weekend's Swap

selkie_b
17 years ago

I had a BAD year for tomato and pepper starts this year. I chalk it up to trying a new damping-off product since I couldn't get the excellent granulated one I used to. This one wouldn't allow the roots to get big and strong and has slowed down growth. The up-side of it was that I had the BEST germination and production on perennial seeds EVER - Go Figure! But this leaves me in a horrible place. I start toms and peppers not just for myself but for my 82 year old Grandma! Most of you know I grow cool varieties of heirloom tomatoes too. I managed to pull some through, then planted them out and we got those 95 degree days - TOAST.

I have a few, barely, that are struggling ok of odd varieties but not nearly enough. I can't necessarily swap other than with my gratitude on these, or maybe a jar of sauce at the end of summer? Some of my jam or jelly likewise?

I do NOT want "Pruden's Purple", "Tiger Tom", "Tigrella", or any overly-sweet or cherry tomatoes. "Opalka" I'd prefer not as well.

I'll take "Cherokee Purple", "Caspian Pink" (yeah even THEY didn't do so hot - I got 2), "Arkansas Traveller", "German Red Strawberry", or anything else interesting. I have enough "Costoluto" actually. And I really only need a total of about 8 plants! Oh, and if someone has a "Red Currant" that'd be the one odd salad one I need!

For peppers I need "Valencia" or any other orange type, and any other sweet bells that go red when ripe - don't care what variety. I'll take what I can get up to 10 plants total.

And as an aside, most of you also know we grow these in Earth Boxes and they SAVED me this year in one very cool way - the tomatoes I KNEW I had to have but couldn't get from you folks easily I just closed my eyes and planted the seeds straight in the boxes knowing they'd be late, but better late than not at all if they even grew well. They are not only up but as large as the d* things that survived and I only planted them Memorial Weekend!

Good thing I'll be out of town for the start of the State Fair so can't put in any tomatoes this year, 'eh?

Thank you thank you thank you in any ways you can help!

-Marie

Comments (6)

Sponsored