Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

WANTED: Swap Etiquette

doucanoe
16 years ago

The swap on Saturday at my home was a great success. I think we all went home with a lot of fun, new plants for our gardens! Thanks to all who participated, it was a lot of fun!

I have one thing I think we might want to consider for future swaps, tho. I was left with quite a few plants and other items to dispose of. A few of you told me if I didn't want them to throw them away, but I don't think that should be the responsibility of the swap host.

I think in future swaps, if you have plants or garden items that weren't taken, you need to gather them up and take them with you. It should not be the host/hostesses responsibility to clean up from the swap and then have to dispose of items left behind. When we leave a swap, the hosts yard should be devoid of any unwanted swap items.

I hope I am not coming off as whiney or bi-chy. I am not angry or upset with anyone. But after cleaning up all the food and dishes, tables, chairs, etc. Cleaning up leftover plants and bottles was the last thing I wanted to do! (I am still not done getting rid of it all!)

Thanks everyone! I can't wait until the next one!

Linda

Comments (10)

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Absolutely! What you describe is exactly what I had ask everyone to do when the swap was at my place: take back there own leftover stuff. No one thought anything of it (that I know of), and it is only being respectful of a most generous host.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

Definitely, the host/hostess should not have to get rid of the leftovers of any kind.

Speaking of swaps, I thought of you all together without me. Who is hosting the fall swap? I don't want to miss that one.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We missed you, Pauline!

I think Dave's got the fall swap at his place.

Dave?

Linda

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I'd been told to leave a couple of my things, that they'd be grabbed before someone else left - do hope that happened! I felt kinda bad just leaving them in case it didn't, but I think I mentioned that to you? Shame you live so far from us, I'd LOVE to come back and grab 'em away for someone else who wished them (if they did get left) and love up your wonderful dogs again :) Besides, the company would be great too!

-Marie

• tammymn
    16 years ago

Thanks for hosting Linda. You are 100% correct and shouldn't have to clean up left over plants. When I left there was some stuff from some of the first timers and from a gardner who couldn't stay and left a tray for others. We could of said something at the beginning of the swap to avoid it. I did enjoy meeting the new gardners though!!! I think it was just our oversight for not mentioning it. Thanks for being the hostess with the mostest. Enjoyed your beautiful log home....TammyMN

• may8
    16 years ago

Linda, thanks for hosting. You and your husband were good hosts. Love your yard and your gardens too. After going to Leftwood's. I understand this swap etiquette and took everything back, except the daylilies. When I talked to you about them, you were OK with leaving them. Otherwise I would have taken them back. To avoid leftover plants in the future, maybe we should post what we want and don't want before the swap. It will save everyone time for digging, potting and bringing them.

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

Sounds like a few people left early and thought someone would want the plants. Next swap we should maybe communicate it better that leftovers should be taken back home.

Yes, the fall swap is going to be at my house...so far the tenative date is Saturday Sept 22. I'll post the final details sometime mid July.

Dave

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Sadly, Dave - though I'll have a TON to bring I likely won't make that swap.

My folks will be in town visiting from France - kinda important. I'll need to grab someone to bring my iris in...

-Marie

• tammymn
    16 years ago

Marie-If I remember correctly you live in Saint Paul. If you would like I can grab your plants on the way home from work and bring them for you. Work in Mpls and live in Woodbury. I too will have lots of stuff to bring. My gardens are over crowded!!! TammyMN

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Tammy - that'd be such a help! We'll get together on that a bit closer to the date :) I hate missing these, I was hoping to go and thought it might be earlier in Sept. Silly me, it's always around my dad's birthday...

-Marie

Sponsored