Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

have: southern mn fall swap

carmellia
17 years ago

I'm going to get the ball rolling with a partial list of what I will have available for adoption at the Sept 23rd Swap in Kenyon:

DAYLILIES: Lullaby Baby, Angel's Delight, Song Sparrow, Chicago Scintillation, Golden Peace, Too Marvelous, and an unusual unnamed spider-type, deep maroon with yellow throat and trim. What makes this one so unusual is that it throws out proliferations like crazy. Almost every scape has a prolif on it - some have 2. (I've had no luck so far in wintering a prolif over, but I will keep trying.)

ASIATIC LILY: Paprika

WATERLILY: White-blooming. This is probably more properly a lotus. It blooms heaviest in June, but blooms all summer. The lilypads are carried at the water surface level. I will wait to hear from anyone who wants some of this before potting it. I dont think I will bring it out of the pond earlier than the day of the swap, so let me know.

DAISY: (Tall, large blossoms)

COREOPSIS: Zegreb

STONECROPS: 4 yellow flowering (one of which is great for hanging baskets or drooping down a garden wall), and 1 pink flowering.

CLOVER: Deep red/green, creeping, mostly 4-leafed.

SEDUM: Many pots of the common green variety and a few pots of varigated, wavy-leafed.

HOSTA: Honeybells, Golden Tiara, and several unnamed, including a beautiful deep blue-green, white-flowering variety.

CHRYSANTHEMUM: Pink-flowering, 1 1/2" to 2" blooms. Very tight bushy growth habit.

PHLOX: White, White w/pink eye, pale lavender, and dark lavender.

CONE FLOWERS: Pink

I will have lots of orange milkweed seed for anyone who wants some.

I may add to this list toward the end of summer. Things have a way of taking a big growth spurt right about now. Carmellia

Comments (22)

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

Ooh I can't wait to come...daylilies are one of my FAVORITES!! I haven't had a chance to go through my gardens yet to see what I will be bringing. Do you have any of the details yet...? Can't wait what a great way to spend a birthday weekend!

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought we would do our exchanging before having pot luck, just in case anyone has time problems. They would probably rather grab a sandwich to go than to miss out on trading plants.

I'd like to ask the people who are coming from a distance how early they would like to start. Is noon too early to start exchanging?

I would be happy to hear any suggestions any of you may have about how you like to see an exchange operate. Carmellia

• jel48
    17 years ago

I'm only about 35 miles away, so I don't know if my input on start time is helpful or not, as anyone driving from the cities is going to be driving at least 1 1/2 times that far, maybe twice as far. But, I don't think noon would be too early at all, especially if we are doing the exchange first and then lunch. Eleven might not even be too bad.

• jel48
    17 years ago

Forgot to add, I'm definitely planning on bringing Spiderwort, Hosta Undulata (Medio Variegata), and winter onion sets. I'm not sure what else yet. Possibly purple coneflowers, hollyhocks, and /or monarda. Otherwise, it's still a guessing game.

• Julie
    17 years ago

I am trying to figure out if I can come- I have plenty to share- and I would love to meet more gardeners and see another garden- but I am not sure yet that I can make it- please keep me in the loop though-
    Julie

• sjmarq
    17 years ago

not sure what I'll dig for the swap but for prearranged:

HAVE
    pulmonaria Mrs Moon
    pulmonaria raspberry splash
    Astilbe Erika
    astilbe pink unnamed
    hosta lemon lime
    achillea Anthea
    ANAPHALIS Yedoensis
    ANTHEMIS tinctoria Kelwayi
    iris purple falls, white top
    lamium white nancy
    geranium macrorhizum magenta blooms
    clematis unnamed but looks like Blue Lights

WANT
    joe pye weed
    aster
    heliopsis
    helianthus
    daylily Siloam double classic
    daylily Gentle Shepherd
    iris Immortality
    iris Rosalie Figge
    ornamental grasses
    corydalis lutea
    persicaria polymorpha

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

I'll be there. Not sure as to what I'm bringin yet though.

Dave

• mantorvillain
    17 years ago

I just started rooting cuttings of a number of brugmansia (Angel Trumpet) varieties for this swap. You would need to carry them over 'in growth' this winter as I'm not certain they'll have a vigorous enough root ball to carry over 'dormant' in your basement.
    Other than that probably monarda & various hostas.

If you're coming over to Mantorville for Marigold Days (Sept 9-10) stop by, talk gardening, and we can arrange advance trades so I can dig them before the 23rd. My house is the tall victorian by the soundstage. Even if any GW'rs aren't coming to the swap, think of coming down for a day. We have a great little festival and (usually 15-20K visitors over the weekend) even if you're not into fesival food there's always the Hubble House.............yep, always promoting our little burg. Will

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mmmmmm, Hubble House. One of the best meals I have ever had. We will try to make Marigold Days. Sounds like fun! Carmellia

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

I've started to dig up plants for the swap. Please check over my list and see if there is something your looking for and I'll try to bring it along.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would be very interested in ANY daylilies you are going to be splitting up.

I have one you might be interested in. It is Wayside Lavender Frills. It is a dark lavender with white streaks. I also have Chicago Scintillation which is a deep lavender that goes beautifully with Wayside Lavender Frills.

As well as daylilies, I am interested in getting some nice red or blue bloomers. I don't have much red or blue. A Delphinium would be great.

Carmellia

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

Carmilla ~ Will you be starting the swap at 1:00pm ?
    Atica

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

A GW friend of mine from Iowa will be coming to the swap her gardenweb name is ladylavender. She asked me to post what she is bringing because she is unable to post here only MN members can.

Korean Angelica
    Spiderwort (purple)
    Soapwort
    Cranesbill (purple)
    Garlic shives (society Garlic)
    Penny wort (Creeping Jenny, spreads, great around ponds)
    Penstemon (thought it was Husker Red when I bought it but blooms more
    white)
    Ladies Mantle
    Stachys (Helene VonStein) Large Lambs Ear
    Canterbury Bells (bloom pinkish purple)
    Variegated Large Sedum
    Monarda (have purple & red)
    Cushion Spurge

Can also dig
    Stella De Oro dayliles
    Lilies of the Valley
    Hollyhocks (mostly shades of pink)

• jel48
    17 years ago

I have an updated list for the swap - "instead of" not "in addition to" the earlier list I posted. I was away from home nearly two weeks, which changed the list of plants I was able to get ready. I've got everything dug and am still working on potting. Here's the list - these will be for the open swap as I don't have time to dig more to allow for pre-arranged (I'm working the next 4 days which keeps me from home from 6 am to 7 pm):

Hosta Undulata(Medio Variegata)-(5 pots of multiple eyes)
    Hosta - Dark Star (one eye)
    Hosta - Elvis Lives (one eye)
    Hosta - El Nino (one eye)
    Winter onion sets (I believe walking onions is another name)
    Perennial Geranium (5 pots - 2 per pot)
    Prairie Onion - native ornamental (5 pots 3-4 per pot)
    Hollyhocks - mixed colors (5 pots)

And I have something unidentified. I have no idea what it is but there are several growing in my shade garden. At first I thought they were ferns but they're not. I think they are a shrub of some kind - the stem is woody. Maybe they're something nobody (including me) wants, but they are kind of attractive (at least as babies). Can anyone tell me what they are?

{{gwi:1043484}}

Carmellia, do you have a pretty good idea of how many will be coming yet?

• jel48
    17 years ago

Oops! I even went out to the garage once to check.... and I still missed some stuff. Will also have:

Strawberries - June Bearers (4 pots of a dozen + per pot)
    Rose Campion (3 pots 1-2 plants per pot)
    Rose - White Carpet (2)
    Rose - Not going to check now, but it's a red and white striped rose, very pretty and fragrent

I think that's it for me!

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jel48, I do not know what your mystery guest is. It bears some resemblance to a black walnut seedling, but not as lankey. Sumac probably is more likely.

I see you have some strawberries. I could sure use a few more of those. Would you trade some for the Royal Standard Hosta? Carmellia

• jel48
    17 years ago

I hadn't planned to make any more pre-arranged trades... but since you are the hostess, I am sure I can arrange a dozen or so strawberry plants for you. They reproduced exceptionally well this year :-)

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As I have already mentioned to the person who specifically mentioned she was interested in Daylilies - I am having a terrible time getting my daylilies out with any sort of tuber attached. I seem to just be ruining my daylily clumps without having anything worth potting to show for it.

I'm expecting to see some sort of tuber on the end of the greenery and there just doesn't seem to be any. There are some scraggly tuberous roots, but they are just roots, no tuber. Any daylily experts among the group? Are those pathetic roots what I am supposed to be potting?

Thanks for listening to me whine. I have found a few garden things that I have not been using and don't want to throw out, so I am going to put those out with my plants too. Basically, it is plant pots. Carmellia

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

Carmellia, I would dig up the whole plant and then divide it if your only getting pieces. I know from digging up some of mine the root balls are different from plant to plant. Some are more tuberous than others. It could depend on how old the plant is too. You may not be digging deep enough too. If you want help dividing them I should be there around 11am.

Dave

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lazyweeder, I am going to try one more clump tonight... if I have no better luck, I will take you up on your offer.

In the meantime, I will take your suggestion and dig the entire clump, maybe I will use my transplant shovel this time. It can go deeper than my regular garden shovel. Wish me luck! Carmellia

• jel48
    17 years ago

Carmellia, I bought several bare root daylilies this summer and they looked just like what you are describing. Here are some websites that show pictures.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C545.htm
    http://www.willowbrookacres.com/about-daylilies.html

The last one, listed in the link below, is the best I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily roots

• carmellia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the links. I meant to give it another go last night, but it was raining when I got home and didn't stop until about 9:00 or so. Tonight it is do or die. I will stand out there in the rain with my little shovel if I have to.

I have had hybrid daylilies for a very short time. The "ditch" daylily was the only one I ever had before, and they had pretty good size tubers on them and just wouldn't die. So this is not what I expected. I thought I would find the same sort of tuber system on any daylily.

I do love them though. My favorite is one I bought 3 years ago and it just bloomed this summer. I think it is one of those semi dormants. It is called 42nd Street and it is a full double - even more beautiful than the photo. I hope to one day have some to share with MN forum gardeners. It is not reproducing very fast. Carmellia

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor