Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamterrie

WANTED: 2009 Fall Swap - Sept. 27th at 11:00 a.m.

adamterrie
14 years ago

I have scheduled the 2009 GardenWeb Fall Plant Swap for Sunday September 27th at 11:00 a.m. The plant swap will be at my home located at: 5702 Lost Horizon Circle SE, Prior Lake, Minnesota 55372 (directions from Minneapolis: http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=h&lat=44.731129&lon=-93.405695&zoom=16&q1=5702%20Lost%20Horizon%20Cir%20SE%2C%20Prior%20Lake%2C%20MN%2C%2055372) (directions from St. Paul: http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=h&lat=44.731129&lon=-93.405695&zoom=16&q1=5702%20Lost%20Horizon%20Cir%20SE%2C%20Prior%20Lake%2C%20MN%2C%2055372). You may have to copy and paste these links into the url. I guess IÂm not too particularly afraid to post my address on here. My house is yellow with white trim and flowers all around it (however most of the flowers will probably be faded for the year). If you need other directions to my home, please contact me.

As usual, we will have one of those potluck deally thingies for food. I will have all beverages - coffee, pop and other "stronger" drinks. Please bring whatever you want for food.

We will have the swap first (which I would imagine will actually commence around 11:30ish) and eat afterwards.

I believe most of you viewers out there know how these swaps operate. But a quick low-down is as follows: you bring your unwanted plants, overgrown plants or kind contributions to the swap. Try to label the plants, with minor descriptions if possible ( . . IÂm normally bad at getting this done). The swap starts by each person describing to everyone what he or she brought. We then start "round one" by each person selecting one plant out of all the plants that people brought. Then "round two" each person selects two plants. Round three (you guessed it), each person selects three plants. Then, usually from there it is a free-for-all where everyone can take whatever they want for leftover plants. If no one takes the plants that you bring, feel free to leave them at my place. I could probably create a home for all the poor unwanted plants out there.

For the fall swap, I would imagine that most plants would be perennials, but anything is welcome. I suppose you could bring seeds, but there is also a special GW seed swap every winter as well. If you have any bulbs to share, that would make a great contribution to the swap as well.

You may also want to bring a wagon to haul your plants around and a pen/notepad to take notes while people are explaining what they brought for plants.

Please reply to this post if you plan on coming, so that I can plan accordingly. If you have any questions whatsoever, please call me at 651-206-6200 ( . . . I guess IÂm not afraid to post my phone number on here either).

I am posting this on both the discussion forum and exchange forum.

- Adam

Comments (13)

• Julie
    14 years ago

YEAH Adam!
    I will be there! With food and plants and a big old smile!!
    If you need any help setting up- or a canopy- or what ever- please let me know how I can help.

Julie

• selkie_b
    14 years ago

I wish I could go but I am obligated elsewhere that day. Is there anyone who could stop by on their way to Adam's to grab a few things? I live right on the north edge of Saint Paul on Larpenteur Ave.

-Marie

• may8
    14 years ago

Adam, how can we miss "the best fall swap ever"!!! Too bad you are so far. Good idea to include seeds, bulbs, ets. I winter sow the first time last winter, except that most of them dried out because I forgot to water them. They probably would have survived had I planted them in the ground in the fall.

Marie, since you are so close, I can come pick up your plants a day or two before. If you pre-arrange trades, I can pick them up for you too. Just let me know when to come by.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

No guarantees, but I am going to try to be there. Have plans, but may be able to move things around.

Linda

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Well, as it turns out I will not be able to make this swap. Bummer.

Have fun, you all! Guess I'll see you in the spring.

Linda

• adamterrie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well . . so far we have three people for the plant swap (including myself). For this to be the best fall swap ever, I'm hoping a few more people can make it. I think I will go forward with the swap regardless of how many people can attend. I really don't want to reschedule any later into the fall because we need to get the plants planted and established before the cold sets in.

Let me know if you can make it. Thanks!!!

- Adam

• may8
    14 years ago

Are there more people going? If there are only 3 of us, should we reschedule to increase participation or cancel?

• tammymn
    14 years ago

Sorry guys can't come. I am going mushroom hunting with an expert coming from Georgia. It is all weekend.

• may8
    14 years ago

Adam, your post must came up when I was typing mine. Anyway, if you don't want to reschedule, hope more people will sign up between now and then. Julie, are you coming for sure? If we coordinate what we have and what we want, we can still make it a good swap. Please let me know what you want. I have plenty of raspberries, strawberries and lily of the valleys. If you want them, I'll bring them. If not, please let me know too. I hate to dig them up, if no one wants them. Also, let me know what you want. If I have them, I'll bring them. As for me, any easy to grow flowers, especially showy and/or very fragrant ones, edible fruits, berries, nuts, ground covering for shady and dry place, etc. would be great. Oh, yes, blood root, if you have them. I am not fuzzy, if you do not have plants, cuttings and seeds are OK too. Julie, I can bring you a cutting of cereus.

• Julie
    14 years ago

Well, I am still planning on being there- and it looks like a friend, Terri will be joining me!
    May- as far as requests go- do you have any hosta? Iris? Hardy Hibiscus? Mums? Hen and Chicks? Tree Peonies? Pulmonaria? Lilies- other than Tiger lilies?

Thanks-

Julie

• selkie_b
    14 years ago

Julie - May will be stopping by here to grab a couple things, including iris! :)

-Marie

• may8
    14 years ago

Julie, what hosta are you looking for? I have mostly the common green hosta, a Patriot from Leftwood and a green one with narrow white edges. I have the common blue iris, pink garden mums, Sorbet Peony and daylily. The daylilies are mostly the common orange ones, but there is a shorter yellow one, maybe Stella de Oro. Let me know what you would like and I'll dig them up. Oh, any one have shrubs to spare?

Marie, I have a few things to do today. Plan to stop by your house mid-afternoon or, if I am behind schedule, early evening.

• adamterrie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julie,

The two coneflowers you were wondering about are:

Echinacea purpurea "Pink Double Delight"
    Echinacea x "Mathew Saul" Big Sky Harvest Moon

- Adam

Sponsored