Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

Wanted: Out of Town - MN GW Winter Blues Seed Swap- Participants

Julie
18 years ago

I have been tossing this idea around a while- and have bounced it off of a few other GWers- Now I would like to know what you think, if this may work- or if it would work better another way- and if you may like to participate-

Maybe we can work together to find a way to distribute seeds and such- from and to out of towners who would like to participate in the MN forum seed swap- but just couldn't make the trip.....

Maybe every one who couldn't make it to the swap- but still wants to participate- could send in seeds or what have you- as well as a wish list, a return address lable and return postage in a bubble mailer- and then those who come to the swap- can choose to adopt an out of town GWer. The swap goer could select seeds for themselves as well as their "adopted" buddy(s) by selecting off of the wish list sent in ..... and by guessing a whole lot! It would be a surprise for those trusting but adventurous out of towners who wish to partipate- if they got anything close to their desires- who knows if what you are asking for will even be at the swap- but it would be a wonderful surprise- as that is the only kind allowed! ;)

The buddy can send the envelope right there from the Swap Host House with the envelope and postage provided- or take it to the PO and be sure the postage is right- and maybe add a little sumpin from their own seed stash......

How does this sound........ to you out of towners and prospective buddies alike.....

I would volunteer to be the send to person and try to find a buddy for every out of towner who sends seeds in if we have an interest......

Julie

Comments (70)

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Marie, I am so jealous! England and Scotland over the holidays? How much fun will that be?

At this point I can come any Saturday in January, but won't be able to leave until 1pm when my shop closes...
    Sundays are good for me as well.

Linda

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Since others are talking about availability I thought I would put in my 2 cents. All of my Saturdays are free at the moment.

When will THE date be announced? This is fun, it is almost like summer doesn't end since we are already planning. Maybe this will get me through my "I hate winter" blues this year.

Pauline

• Nettie
    18 years ago

I flunked seed collecting 101. I put the seeds in baggies in the fridge and now I have moisture and mold on many of them. Nothing swap worthy I'm sorry to say otherwise I would have jumped on the wagon.
    Great idea Julie- very nice of you guys to think of us out-of-towners.
    Lynette

• cheri_mn_524
    18 years ago

Sound great Julie
    Looks like I've been out of touch for a while.
    Did you do the round robin yet?
    I,ll Host again If you want..
    I loved those coral salvia you gave me this spring.. I couldn't believe all the other stuff either, now that I kind of know what things look like I will be able to plant them accordingly...
    Cheri

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Netti- youv'e got mail.....

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh- Cheri- that's sweet of you- but Dave has offered to host this year and I think he is looking forward to it! He is waiting on some dates on other commitments before he can post when in January this may occur- Probably a Saturday afternoon though-
    Yes- I did receive 1 RR envelope- and I am still going through that one- and am expecting the 2nd Round Robin to fly home any day now. I will have plenty of seeds to share come Winter Blues Seed Swap Time, froms swaps, Round Robins and hand collected from my garden- and um other places I have Uh- helped myself to.....
    Julie

• cheri_mn_524
    18 years ago

Have you posted in the seed trade forum yet, I bet there will be alot of takers there for out of towners

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cheri- I had thought to invite those who frequent the MN forum and would think to look in our exchange area. Not the whole Garden Web.
    There is a nice community here in the MN forum and I had thought to extend this invitation to our "forum frequenters" only.
    We share our voices and comments and help and encouagment already- adding seeds to the list of sharing is just adding another great facet to the forum.
    It is a nice gesture to include all MN Forum Exchange visitors in the Seed Swap- made easy and enjoyable by many helping hands- but would be a burden if the invitation was extended to too many people.
    I can easily fill a few envelopes of sought after seeds- and still enjoy my experience at the swap- but make that 10 or 20 or more envelopes and I would not be having any fun at all- it would be all work!
    So- let's just keep this right here in the MN Forum for us MN Forum frequenters- O'kay?

Julie

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Julie, sounds like a good idea. It could get way too big and end up being all work. There is a saying about all work and no play you know.

Pauline

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

I sometimes have classes on Saturdays--I will have my schedule soon and can see what works for me. Anyone hear if Dave's picked a date yet? If he's open to nominations, I vote for a Sunday, or a Sat. I'm not stuck in a classroom! :-)

• cheri_mn_524
    18 years ago

good point julie,you would probably need to get all of us to do that....do you have any adopties? are you just going to give us the address or what?

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Cheri-
    I have had a few folks say they are interested- but not many. We have far more volunteers to stuff envelopes- than out of towners who have stated an interest. So- if your not able to be there with us and you want to share your excess seed- or enhance your seed stash- let me know.....
    Julie

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

I'm interested, but I think since we'll be back for the seed swap itself that I'll hold onto the little bit I have until then. I mean, if anyone *wants* to just cheer up my mail box (Alex is watching our place while we are gone) that'd be a thrill!

-Marie

• jmsje
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I would like to participate in the MN winter Blues seed swap. Will all the details be posted here? I just started trading seeds this last spring and had a blast! So this fall I srarted collecting all the seeds that I could find in the gardens, hoping to do some trading.
    Thanks
    MJ

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there MJ- youv'e got mail!
    Julie

• vogt0047
    18 years ago

Hi there!

I'd love to come to the seed swap. Now that the busy season is over I actually may have time to get away from work. :p I've just traded some great mints and got far more than I could ever use.

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MMMmmmm MMmint!

Cheri- After re-reading the posts- I may not have answered your question properly before- I thought I would give the out of towner's envelope to the buddie (who would have 1st dibs on the contents held within)- and the buddie would go on from there-dispersing the contents- reading the wish list- refilling the envelope and sending it back to the out of towner- all in one fell swoop!

I do believe this will be a great time!

Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had a couple of other thoughts-

I will post here as I recieve envelopes from out of town folks wishing to participate so you will know when your envelope has arrived. That is always nice to know-

I also had thought to mention- if any of you who are sending in seeds -or really, for any one going to the swap- you might like to check out the wants lists of the other folks who are participating in this other "great MN get together" and maybe set aside a few of their desired seeds with their GW name on them- to share at the swap. It is just a kind gesture that if time and spirit allow, can really make someone elses day.....

Julie

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Julie, I may well send you some to take to the swap for me. I'll even *gasp* update my want list :) If the weather is complete garbage we'll be at the swap obviously, but if it's at all ok for kites (ie not snowing hard, not raining, not blowing a gale but nice and breezy) I think I'll be freezing my fingies off with family and friends on an iced up lake. I think we are idiots - but it's great fun!

-Marie

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Marie, you can't be as idiotic as those people who take a dunk in a frozen lake without a sauna first!

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

leftwood,

HEHEH we keep this weather up and it'll be just so! That ice can't be very safe right now...

I was laughing at the folks making a big deal about the New Years plunge into the Firth of Forth (Edinburgh) when we were there - WHIMPS! Nothing on the folks who polar bear in Lake Superior...

BRRRRR.... now I'm frozen just thinking about it!

-Marie

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Marie-
    I will send you the letter with the details of sending your seeds in this evening-
    I am sending you wishes of a warm crackeling fire and great wollen blanket to warm your bones!
    Julie

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Julie, will we need to post our trade lists here both have and want if the trades don't show up soon?

Of course I didn't save mine anywhere. Live and learn. Since I haven't learned in the 20 some years that I have had a computer I probably won't. Let's put it this way I have learned I just don't remember to do it.

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Zen-
    I think searching out others wants and pre-packaging packets for them is going the extra mile! While I do admire the labor of love involved to search and pre package- I do not think we need to post our lists. They are there for those who would search them out.
    For the folks who are sending in their seeds though- there is no other way for them to let their buddy know of their desires but to send along a note of likes and maybe even their dislikes.
    I am planning to be there in person- and am very willing to have folks rummage through my offerings to find what they may desire. I have and will again package up others desires- but for this swap- I will be very lucky to get all my seeds into small individual packets! I do not believe I will have the time to look at everyones list and Pre Package a bunch for them.
    There are a few who have asked for specific requests- as have I of others and I will have those ready- but generally, I am looking forward to running my fingers over the packets of seeds- touching- wondering- remembering- learning- and grabbing a few that tickle my fancy!
    But to each their own- If you or others would like to post your list(s)- go ahead- there is plenty of room here!
    I have to get back to folding paper envelopes and packaging up portions- I have used up 2 Sharpie fine points already this swapping season! I am going for number three now!
    Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey There SandiBluffs-
    Your Envelope has arrived!
    I will post more as they come in...
    Julie

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Julie,

Now that the trade lists are up again I may get my seeds into the list as for myslf even if I make a list to look for I will end up not following it.. If my buddy (if I get one) wants to add a wish list great I will try, otherwise I will just send them suprises.

I am running out of wax paper envelopes and trying to decide if I should make more or go out to buy plastic ones. It felt like I didn't collect many seeds before I started packaging them.

Pauline

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Julie dear,

got your email and will send some stuff off to you in the next few days! Just take mine to the swap *grin* (there'll be ONE very specially labled one for Suzinnia - which you may well remember - but I may put a tiny few of those into another little packet too, but Suzi'll be well-labled) I'll miss you all just tons! Unless, of course the weather winds up just horrid, in which case you'll all be stuck with us anyway :) (*secretly crossing her fingers*)

-Marie

• lazyweeder
    18 years ago

Marie,

In case your looking for an excuse...You could go to the Lake Harriet Winter Kite festival on Jan 14th instead. Forecast is low 30's partly sunny.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: MKS events

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

*giggle* Thanks Dave! Shame this weekend is ALREADY booked up... No, I may be stuck but we'll see how the weather is - You all may wind up with us anyway...

-Marie

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

quick note to whom it may concern (and Pauline :D)
    I found some plastic envelopes in various sizes at a what I thought a good price at Axeman's in St. Louis Park.
    I picked up some of them in the one and 1/2 by one and 1/2 inch size. 100 envies for $1.50
    suz

• lazyweeder
    18 years ago

I get my plastic bags at Walmart. They have 2 sizes. I believe they are 2x3 for .99 and 3x4 for 1.49 both have 100 count and they are found in the craft dept.

Dave

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi there-
    It's getting close to swap time..... I have received one envelope for this swap so far- and am beginning to wonder if I may have missed sending out information to any that may have asked....
    I thought I had responded to all queries- but with all the glitches going on lately- I though I would offer up another oppertunity to send or re-send info to any who are interested in participating through the mail.
    You can e-mail me through this site- or post here- and I will write back with the details.

Julie

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Julie,

I've been super busy but will get mine to you soon - before the swap I promise!

Otherwise, if you are in the area.... *GRIN*

-Marie

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm- St. Paul.....
    I don't see a run out that way coming up soon- but if you would like me to come out and pick them up, I am sure I could find the time for you, dah-ling!

Julie

• leftwood
    18 years ago

If you have any problems getting to Julie's GW email, it still seems to glitch a bit. So just keep trying or try accessing it through her journal. It took me three attempts before it worked.

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dentabow's envelope is on it's way!

• dotties_place
    18 years ago

Julie - Hello There!! I received your email and have sent you an email back. Thanks for letting me know about the winter blues seed swap/get together. As I told you in my email, my granddaughter and great grandkids will be at the house next weekend so I won't be able to partake in person - Bummer. However, if the invite to partake via a SASBE for this newbie to GW I would love to have the assistance of fellow Minnesotans to get me going on seeds to winter sow and indoor sow. I feel fortunate to have found the GW site and the Minnesota forum!

Thanks
    Dot

Hope to meet you all at another time! I look forward to reading on how the swap went.

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Dot-
    I know I have several packets I could send your way- and don't mind at all to send a SASBE- If others at the swap care to add to an envelope for you- the oppertunity will be available! I will send you my address to send your SASBE.
    I know last year I had several packets of seeds I brought back home with me that could have easily gone into a SASBE for a newbie- or someone without enough to share-
    I look at a SASBE as something on the lines of "paying it forward", and for myself- am happy to oblige.
    Look for my E-mail-
    Julie

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Julie Julie :)

Must get together for the afternoon again sometime soon!

Sending my little packet out to you today. There's not a ton in it, but it turns out a couple of things I *do* have in there are pretty special *GRIN*

Not looking good that I'll make it to the actual swap, so I hope everyone has a really good time! I want reports, People! Reports! :)

-Marie

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Selkie-
    Your envelope has arrived!

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

Julie,

Excellent! Must get together sometime soon too - send me an email? Love to see you!

-Marie

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Received Dotties_place envelope..... It looks pretty full of seeds.......
    I bet we can stuff even more in there for it's return trip!

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well- I do believe the out of town seed swap by mail- has been accomplished without a hitch- thanks to the many suggestions and voulenteers to help- and the special folks who buddied up to hand pick and select precious seeds for those trusting enough to participate on this maiden voyage-
    My thanks to Mary Jo- SandiBluffs buddie, Mary- Dave's sender's buddie, Suzy- Marie's buddie (Rick helped too...), Pauline- Dott's Buddie, Rick- Jan AND Kate's buddie, Cheri too had a sender she buddied up for. I do believe with all the care involved with hand selecting the receivers will have a very pleasant surprise coming to them!!
    I do think that this is an easily do-able, much appreciated addition to the Winter Blues Seed Swap- I think that whom-ever hosts next years seed swap could easily be the person who the envelopes are sent to- and the one who could easily enlist help to buddie up with someone- I will gladly forward the letter I sent out to those who sent seeds in- (it lists instructions that help make the buddies job easier) to the host of the next MN WBSS, or- I can do again next year what I did this year. I feel it is too valuable of a service to not continue.
    I am sure the buddies will be sending out soon- if they havn't already! It is a good idea to post here or send an e-mail when you send the envelope on- and it is polite to respond in turn when you receive the envelope- That way, neither is left wondering about the package.
    Thank you senders- for the wonderful seeds you sent- Thank you Buddies for picking out the very best for your buddies! And Thank you Cheri for having us all- once again for the MN GW SS! Thanks to all who participated!
    Julie

• lazyweeder
    18 years ago

Rosebacopa your package went out yesterday.

Dave

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

dotties_place I took yours to the post office yesterday as well. My name is on the sheet that you had passed around at the trade on Sunday. From what I understand you are arranging some kind of a trade as well is that right? Or do I have the wrong person?

Pauliine

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey there Zen-
    You are most correct in that you sent a package to Dottie- GW Dotties_place-
    But the paper that was sent around belonged to another Dott. Confusing I know! Cheri will be posting about that swap when the time is right- no one here will be left in the lurch- not to worry!
    On another note- Marie will be coming over to my house soon and has opted to pick her seeds up here- so- her exclamations of glee will be posted at a later date.....
    Me-

• Julie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I received this note fron SandiBluffs who lives in WI- She paticipated in our out of towners swap- but GW won't let her post in here-(?!)- But I did wan't to share-

Hi there, just wanted to thank you for doing the WB swap. I just got
    my pkg last night! Woo Hoo!!!  Lots of wonderful possiblilites in
    those seeds.Â
    Â Â
    Â I am emailing 'cos the gardenweb is not allowing me to access the
    thread, to post.Â
    Â Â
     Please thank Mary Jo, if you see her. I will post on the thread when
    the gardenweb gets past its little glitch.Â
    Â Â
     Thanks again, such a great idea. I would love to know the details of
    your event, so I could, perhaps, do something like that in WI.Â
    ..............SandiBluffs

I replied back as to how it got started- and what goes on and such-
    I do hope GW will allow neighboring states to enjoy each others exchange forums- espicially those that do not have their own exchange forums....
    I know there are other places to go- and ways around it- but it does seem to be the "neighborly" thing to do.....
    Oh well- I am glad there is a GW and a place to do what we do here-
    Julie

• dentaybow
    18 years ago

I received my seeds and was most pleased. Many thanks to the organizers and to those who served as 'buddies'. A special thanks for including out-of-towners.
    Jan

• dotties_place
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone

All I can say is - Oh my oh my, what a bountiful envelope of seeds Pauline sent to me! A big thanks to Pauline for stuffing my envelope full of so many seed packets. A big thanks to Julie for inviting me to join by envelope and a big thanks to all that brought seeds to the swap to share with those lucky enough to go to the swap and those that couldn't attend due to other committments and such.

I can't thank you enough.

Take care and happy gardening
    Dottie

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Dottie,

I had great fun stuffing those seeds into the envelope and am glad you got them safe and sound.

Pauline

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner