Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiley0

North side of house

wiley0
15 years ago

question.

My house faces North and the front porch has windows all around. I'm looking for a fast growing veggie or flower that will climb up a trellis or lathe fence that I could attach to the house. Only early morning sun hits this spot and that is briefly beginning in June.

Morning glories are out. I've been pulling shoots for two years since I last started some of them.

Comments (6)

• boyle014
    15 years ago

It's not fast growing--in fact it's hard to establish--but one idea is Hydrangea anomala subspecies petiolaris (climbing hydrangea). Once it's established it provides year-round interest. My landscaper brother-in-law swears by it. I've never grown it myself.

Another idea is some kind of clematis that will tolerate shade, such as kinds that grow up tree trunks.

I wonder about pothos? This is what I grow in low light indoors. I suppose one could grow it as an annual outdoors. It might grow very slowly, however. I don't know.

Let us know what you decide on and tell us how it works out.

• Julie
    15 years ago

If you like pretty little pink and white blooms- try Adlumina fungosa- (it's kinda fun how it rolls off of the tongue...)

Here is a link that might be useful: See if you like it-

• wiley0
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw something about Dutchmans Pipe in a H&G magazine.

Big leaves, vigorous grower and cold hardy it said. anyone used this for privacy type vine? Hardy for zone 4?

Also, I'm starting some cardinal climber seeds and will try these.

Actually, I'm going to try many climbers and cover my fences and trellis, as well as 2x8' lathe fence panels that I will mount up against the porch .

That fast growing vine from Jumanji would be ideal for my crazy idea. I'll look into those that were mentioned and try them too.

• Julie
    15 years ago

Yeah, Aristolachia- I was at a place west of the metro- close to the border that had the patio rails covered in this roughly fuzzy leaved vine with HUGE hearshaped leaves- it too received only morning light. The ones hardy to our zone do not have the HUGE flowers though I believe. Very dramatic it was! I think it might take a bit to establish- and then, well, look for yourself... Not the same place- but the same effect...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1043842}}

• wiley0
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's perfect, Julie, thanks. And the bonus is my SIL and MIL will hate it. (They think I create a jungle anyway with a bog garden, fences covered with veggies one year, morning glories (never again), sprawling tomatoes, dead trees planted (need a place for birds to land and check out the feeders before alighting). Got one as road kill....was like 20' tall when a car sheared it off at the base. Another was a 15' top off a chinese elm in front that was getting to big (tall). After a couple of years they become campfire wood.

Each year I have had a different theme for my city front yard. The farm theme had 30 stalks of corn with squash growing around them, lots of tomato and pepper plants and garden ornaments like a big old plow etc.

Jumanji theme......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not this year but by next year...............hmmmmmm. XXXXOOOO

• rundown
    15 years ago

I've heard that the hardy kiwi and the artic kiwi are both extremely vigorous and will swallow a trellis whole in one season.

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County