Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion plants for tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White'

Posted by boyle014 Z4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 6:26

I planted a beautiful tsuga to be a screen between my yard and the alley. It's a Canadian hemlock or tsuga canadensis "Gentsch White."

I planted a tiger-eye sumac near it, for the same purpose. The colors are terrible together, so I'm thinking about what plant could replace the sumac. I've got a dentana viburnum "blue muffin," a red osier dogwood, and a viburnum lantana "variegata" in the yard as well. All of these are small and could switch places with the sumac. Or I could go for something completely different.

Also, while I'm waiting (years and years) for the tsuga to actually be large enough to serve as a screen, are there tall annuals that would look nice with it?

The 6 square feet around the tsuga get sun from pretty early in the morning until about 1 p.m. The 6 square feet around the sumac get lots of midday sun. The soil is healthy; not too wet, not too dry. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here