Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lfellow

Verbena Bonariensis- from seed?

lfellow
18 years ago

OK I have trouble saying this plant let alone spelling it-

Is this plant readily available in flats at nurseries? I've never seen it sold that way so I am wondering if I need to start it from seed indoors. I'd rather take the easier way out and buy plants already started- if I can.

I saw it growing in droves this summer down at the Loring Park gardens (near dwn twn Mpls)- check those gardens out if you're in the city- they're beautiful and they give great ideas.

Comments (20)

• Julie
    18 years ago

It is very easy to start from seed- and once established- it will reseed profusly! I do believe I will have some seed available at the MN WinterBlues Seed swap on Sunday- Please check out the exchange page for more info-
    I do hope you will attend!
    Julie

• meeperx
    18 years ago

I grew it from seed last year. It's really easy-but it needs to be cold stratified. I started it in the house-nothing happened for about a month. I stuck the tray outside in late april-2 weeks and a few cold snaps later-everything sprouted. The transplanted seedlings held up well-had lots of beautiful flowers in august/september.

• lfellow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the good advice- I am glad that I did not overlook it last year at the garden centers. The cold statified is something I would not have expected- Thanks!
    sh

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

It's possible that it was just the length of time and cold strat. is not really necessary. Many 'sites list germination of this plant as slow and irregular. But if it works for you, that's great.

• meeperx
    18 years ago

I think I got the idea from this message board, or maybe it was another site???

I just dug this one up...

"RE: Verbena bonarensis
    Posted by: Pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 22:06

I have found that when starting Verbena bonariensis from seed, it germinates best when exposed to some temperature swings (to mimic spring like temps). After I sow the flat, I alternate putting it on the cold basement floor for a day, then under warm lights for a day. I do that for a week or so, then give them constant warmth. I actually find most Verbena has better germination when given this type of treatment"

• crocosmia_mn
    18 years ago

You can usually buy the plants at Highland Nursery and at the Friends School plant sale -- that's what I do. Mine does seed itself in the garden but has never flowered in time. Try it with Asclepias curassavica (annual butterfly weed.)

• Julie
    18 years ago

Crocrosmia- Verrry pretty! Thanks for the memories of summer in bloom!

As an addendum- I found that most all Salvias do best with cold strat too- There are several that need a few weeks at the minnimum- It is a real good idea to google the name of the plant you are attempting to start from seed with the word germinate behind it to find many sites with info on how to start those seeds you have. Yes, it is time consuming- but so is trying to start seed that just doesn't seem to grow.....
    Julie

• suzinnia
    18 years ago

fall sow, or 4wks at 39 degrees and germination at 72 degrees- in darkness/ 10-20 days. This, according to Tom Clothier, who has an archived data base on germination requirements for a wide array of plants. a site worth checking out if you haven't yet.

• flwrlvrmnzone4
    18 years ago

Great subject as I love this plant as do the butterflies. I have grown verbena bonariensis from seed for years inside and I have never needed a cold strat time. Salvias either. And to tell you the truth I have never cold strated any seed I have ever started and I have not had any problems. One thing about verbena bonariensis seeds, don't cover them. It is possible why they didn't germinate before is beacause they were covered with soil or when you watered them they got covered with soil. They do reseed well and I have them reseed all over the place here and they do flower, all though it will be a little later than the plants you start inside. I can't seem to have enough verbena bonariensis. If you need seeds I do have some.

• lfellow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful- Thank you!

• kqcrna
    18 years ago

Verbena homestead purple- mine grew huge last summer and was covered with blossoms the whole summer.

Orange suggestions -orange lantana or zinnia profusion orange.

• karenbonds
    15 years ago

Can someone please explain where the seed is on this plant? I have taken the little "fingers" apart and there's no seed there.

• bitterwort
    15 years ago

Wait until the seed heads are dry and brownish and then shake them lightly upside down over a white paper plate. The seeds are tiny, elongated, and brownish. They look rather like tiny gelatin-capsule pills.

If you're concerned about missing them, pick some of the older heads for a late summer bouquet and let them dry in a vase in the house. You should then be able to find seeds using the above technique. Good luck!

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

When I googled "verbena bonariensis seed" this GW thread popped up! I'm from New Jersey but experience is welcome and appreciated from anywhere I can find it on GW.

Crocosmia_mn, your photo of Asclepias curassavica (I already have seeds) with Verbena b. is just gorgeous. I wouldn't have thought to put the two together but it's a beautifully striking combination and I'm going to put some Verbena b. around the Asclepias curassavica. Going to start both from seed and hope they make it. I'm still new to gardening but trying to learn all the time. You did a spectacular job with your gardens. Wish I had load of those rocks for edging here in Jersey!

Stay warm up there all of you MN gardeners.

• longfellowmpls
    13 years ago

Hi All- I cold stratified my Verbena Bonariensis seeds in a moist seed flat for about 5 weeks down in a pantry in my basement (constant temp of 41F). They were enclosed in paper bags up so no light got to them, also the plastic tray cover was removed once a week when I remembered to allow fresh air in. Brought them into warmth the end of March at 68F with a heated germination mat- and have a great number of seedlings now.
    Last year I tried doing this in the fridge and got a zero germination rate.

• susan_johnson_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi there- I am also growing this from seed- i wintersowed (my first experiment!) when temps were maybe in the 30s-40s during the day and colder at night, and the seeds germinated in 1-2 weeks. That was very exciting.

However that was about a month ago... and the seedlings are still practically microscopic. Am I doing something wrong? They're receiving plenty of sun and water, and have been at ~70 degree temps during the day. Should i be keeping them cooler? Thanks in advance for any insight!

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

I am growing these from seed and they really take their time germinating. I agree with the previous poster that they need cool temperatures in the evening and warn during the day. I have some on a window sill. They have been there for 10 days and nothing. I also have some in the basement (a cold unfinished, dark creepy basement) under high pressure sodium bulbs (for heat.) The lights are on 12 hours and off 12 hours. Those seedlings have started germinating and its been 7 days.

• Tony G
    12 years ago

I would suggest seeds AND plants. This will give you verbena from early summer through the fall and lots of butterfly activity!

I also get my plants from the friends plant sale and they are very affordable and come in flats of 6. (at least they did last year)

I did not cut them back this fall and I super-mulched...hoping the plants will come back in spring. Tony

• a_j_2
    6 years ago

I live in Saskatchewan Canada and grew verbena Bon last year for the first time. It bloomed from May to freeze-up. Fantastic !!!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts