Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus sylvestris 'Aurea' and 'Gold Coin'

Posted by ginkgonut 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 9:22

So over on the conifer forum, people post beautiful pictures of these turning bright yellow during the winter. Well, mine are seem to do very little yellowing until March, when they go all yellow, to only go back to green a month later. Fourth winter now and they seem to be doing the same thing.

So I was wondering if anybody here in MN has experience with these and how your yellowing has been? I was going to post on the conifer forum, but many of these those people are in warmer zones. Maybe that has something to do with it. I am working with limited gardening space so I am starting to think these may get the shovel prune unless I find a taker.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus sylvestris 'Aurea' and 'Gold Coin'

P.s.'Aurea' I have never grown, but have a friend down the road with a 10ft one. IMO, Aurea is a poor choice for the winter yellow, as, at least to me, the normal yellow for the cultivar is rather sickly, and not solid yellow. Gold Coin, on the other hand., is superb. I grew it from a (probably) 3 year graft for about 7 years before I was force to transplant it in the spring. Every bit of soil fell off the root system and it subsequently died.

I never noticed that either of them got more yellow in the early early spring, but they didn't reach their potential until, say, mid-Jan.

Looking out my window at this very moment, I could swear that my Pinus strobus 'Wintergold' was more yellow earlier this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here