Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longfellowmpls

Dahlia Feedback

longfellowmpls
16 years ago

2007 was a year of drought, pestilence and disease in my Twin Cities city garden.

The 30 dahlias I planted were a bust. I have been growing them for 10 years and have never had issues like this.

Just in general- Did any other dahlia growers have issues this year in MN? If not please share your techniques.

I am wondering if I need to 'rotate the crop' this year- but the thought of not having Dahlias in 2008 is very disheartening...

Comments (3)

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

I wouln't consider myself a dahlia grower by any means, but I have had them in my gardens and last summer was a good year for me, I am, however, irrigated, so the drought didn't cause problems, and there were fewer disease and pest problems than usual, I thought that might be due to the fact that I controlled the weather so to speak... Consider though that I only had about 4, and they are never in the same part of the garden twice, as I use them as filler plants...Helen.

• birdwing
    16 years ago

Oh me too. I do usually grow maybe 12-15 dahlias every year. This year the insects were awful. I had earwigs and japanese beetles on everything. Mostly Dahlias, Roses, Delphinium-all my favorites. I don't want to think about it..I did dig up the Dahlias and will plant them again. I usually plant some new ones every year too just in case..

• Julie
    16 years ago

I usually grow the smaller and mid range dahlias with a tougher reputation- If I have to try to baby something along, I find I lose interest after a while.
    I save tubers and start seedlings every year. I did not have problems with my dahlias this year- other than a few seedlings just didn't grow fast enough and were "swallowed" up by their neighbors. I lost one- but the others were found and dug up to see what next year will bring.
    Most of the beds I put these in were newer beds with fresh compost and bunny poop worked in. Also- in these new beds- I had a nice layer of cypress mulch. I work the dahlias in with a bunch of other stuff- and the bunnies and deer that bothered my beds this year did not bother the dahlias that I noticed. One squirrel did run off with Juanita though...
    I find in my all too well draining soil that I do have to add plenty of composty stuff towards the surface every few years to "refresh" the beds as I really do not fertilize.
    And- I find moving the dahlias around till I find the best place for them has been something I have done for many years-
    I tend to get frustrated that the dahlias do not bloom for a long enough period in my opinion... I wish they came sooner in my yard....
    I do hope your Dahlias will behave better for you this year!

Julie

Sponsored