Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantorvillain

Spring Plant Swap(s)-thinking ahead

mantorvillain
11 years ago

Our little town has several events over our 'warm months'. Last year I added a local plant swap to our 'Spring Fling' event and will do so again this year in mid May...probably the 18th. I'd be delighted to host the MN GW spring swap as part of this on that date and think you'd find it a great day trip....walking tour of historic Mantorville, Hubble House Restaurant (won MN best restaurant award for 2012)and other 'stuff' which is still in development.
I fully understand that a location in the Twin Cities would probably convenient for most who attend the swaps. I just thought I'd get the ball rolling so folks can start thinking ahead for plants they'll be moving and/or dividing or starting seeds...yep getting the urge here!

OK, now for a bit more unbridled and unabashed Mantorville promotion...
We have what I think is one of the best (if not the best) small town festivals over the weekend after labor day, usually accomodating 15-30K visitors in our little home of In late June we'll have our Olde Tyme Days with 'spirit' tastings, costume (period, steampunk, or whatever appears -lOL)contest, Maypole Dancing as well as the 'usual' historic sites and tours.
...and,of course, the above spring fling but that's smaller in comparison to the two above.
If you're interested in more, visit MantorvilleTourism.com

Regardless, I'll be hosting a swap local or expanded as part of the spring fling and look forward to seeing everyone.

my excitement this year may just be cabin fever...or maybe it has something to do with retiring the end of February!

Keep warm and think spring!
Will

Comments (12)

• Dan88Iroc
    11 years ago

That sounds like fun. I can't wait to read more about it.

• maile_2010
    11 years ago

Hey Will,
    I need a road trip.
    Congrats on your retirement.
    Jerry

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Will, it sounds like a great day trip. Keep us posted.

Depending on when, I think a day trip to Mantorville would be fun!

Linda

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Sounds like fun, Will. I am hoping I can make it. I have been planning to make a trip to Mantorville this summer.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Only a few more days until spring. Am bumping this up as people start thinking and asking about a spring swap.

• jel48
    11 years ago

Will, you retired!?! Good for you!!

The spring fling/MNGarden swap sounds great. I sure hope we can make it. I'm not sure yet, because my daughter is going to be visiting from Maryland about that time. We're hoping to be able to meet up in Kasson so if the timing is right... and if it's not, I'm going to be disappointed.

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, we're sick of cold and white stuff and will be driving to see relatives (long overdue) in the southeast for the next couple of weeks so thought I'd better update planning for our spring fling plant swap. Some our 'swappers' come from further away than the twin cities AND that is also the date for the Shades of Green Hosta Society Plant sale in Rochester (8-12) so wanted to give distance travelers and folks who would like a chance to check out that sale earlier to have a chance to do so then grab a bite at one of our great restaurants before the swap while finishing in plenty of time for everyone to get home safely.
    What say we aim for starting the swap at 2pm (flexible based on input) on Sat. 5/18. Let me know if you think you can make it and I'll provide directions.
    will

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Realizing some of us enjoy potlucking (real word?) and visiting with other gardeners as much as swapping, I'll be providing hot and cold 'soft' beverages and we can do a 'pot luck' for interested swappers from 12 to 2 in my yard (or home if the weather indicates) then start the swap itself promptly at 2:00 PM rain or shine.
    Mantorville does also have 3 great restaurants within 2 blocks of my home for those who prefer.

If you hang in there you'll get used to my 'piecemeal', absent minded way of doing things but I guarantee if you can come it'll be worth it.

Will

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just bumping this up as our 2013 spring fling garden swap will occur next Saturday at 2pm in Mantorville as noted above. If anyone needs directions please post here or, even better, email me directly at willbeane2000@yahoo.com. we're looking at a good week to dig and label things so hope you can join us!
    Will (Mantorvillain)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Hi, Will, I am planning to come to the swap and will be there in time for the potluck. My DH will be sharing in the potluck and meeting a friend for a visit later while we swap.

Please send me directions to your home. Thanks.

Bobbie

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My puter wouldn't allow me to just 'reply' to your message so will post Directions: From the north via US hwy 52 south: exit 52 onto Hwy 57 at Hader. Follow 57 to Mantorville...turn R on 5th street then L on Clay. The (small) Greek Revival Hse is halfway down this block on the right.

From the South: Exit Hwy 14 onto Hwy 57 north at Kasson; follow 57 3 miles to Mantorville. After crossing the bridge, turn L onto 4th street for 1 block, then R on Clay Street. The (small) Greek Revival Hse is halfway down this block on the left.

From East or West: Get on Hwy 14 to Kasson and follow the above directions.

Look forward to seeing you.

Will

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Back from a fun afternoon in Mantorville with Will and other local plant enthusiasts. Thanks Will for the brugs. I also brought back lilies and a red leaved canna for my red bed.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA