Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis__mn

Hosta nurseries in metro area

phyllis__mn
18 years ago

I have a gift card for Bachman's, but would like to hear about other good hosta nurseries in the metro area. I have purchased a number of them from Bachmans and have been happy with the nice plants, but they don't have too many of the new ones.

Comments (18)

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

One of my favorite garden centers is Tangletown. They have a beautiful Hosta area, many perennials, some annuals. Lot's of unusual plants. They are about in the middle price range, probably similar prices to Bachman's. Very nice people. It is extremely busy on weekends during gardening time. Check out their web site.

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangletown Gardens

• bitterwort
    18 years ago

I'm out of space so I haven't been there in a few years, but Savory's Gardens was always the best IMHO. They were--and according to their website still are--hosta breeders as well as growers, so they had many uncommon cultivars. They also had large plantings with mature plants to give you ideas for your own landscaping projects. Plus the owners were friendly and knowledgeable, so it was always a nice place to visit during the growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory's hostas

• jel48
    18 years ago

I stopped by Linder's in St Paul last summer and they had a very nice variety of hostas, as well as tons of other stuff. I bought Mareschino cherry, Mama Mia, Summer Music, Hi Ho Silver, King Tut, Dorset Blue, Hydon Sunset. They were all nice sized plants and have done very well over the rest of the summer. I've put a link to their site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linder's Greenhouse

• Julie
    18 years ago

For the best viewing of mature stands of hosta- Rice Creek wins hands down in my book! Oh that my woods looked like theirs!
    As far as breeders- there was a neighbor of mine who had been breeding and selling for many years- he sold his operation to a family run nursery in Long Lake is it??? that specialized in orchids.....
    I am not verry much help- sorry- but- you could look to the local Hosta Socity for more direction I am sure....
    Julie

• phyllis__mn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I had forgotten about Rice Creek. I was there a few years ago and saw a huge, huge hosta that I had to check out. Well, it was a Sum and Substance, which I had, but it truly made mine look sick! Loved all their grasses and ground covers.

• User
    18 years ago

Not exactly Metro, but I have ordered hosta from Busse Gardens' catalogue. I am very very pleased with their plants and they have a broad selection. They delivered my plants via SpeeDee. The order came in two or three days after my internet order, in perfect condition. The hosta are growing on beautifully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the catalogue

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Busse's is a really cool place, and they are open to the public several weekends each season, too. Rice Creek Gardens has the most awesome woodland garden!

There is a woman in St. Francis that raises and sells hosta. not sure if she breeds them, but i think she may. She has hundreds of different varieties. i think i have her info somewhere at home. I'll look for it.

Linda

• jwroblesk
    17 years ago

If anyone can help I would appreciate any suggestions-my wife brought home a whole bagful of packaged hosta bulbs purchased at Menards. We now have snow on the ground-is there any way to salvage these bulbs? Thanks, Joe

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

You might want to post this over on the hosta forum. There are lots of hosta experts over there. Hostas grow from a rooted crown, no bulbs involved. How deep is the snow? Can you brush it aside and plant?

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Just a heads up for the newbies: Rice Creek in Blaine is no more. Moved to souther MN this fall, and Betty Ann apparently sells from her house in Fridley, where she first started her business.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

If you haven't visited Venero Gardens, it's always a treat. I believe it's in Excelsior. You have to call for an appt. They have a gorgeous yard and a very nice selection of plants.

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Ah yes, Venero. Eight miles from me, actually in Shorewood, which is right next to Excelsior. Very nice people too. Lots of other interesting perennials also.

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

Venero Gardens is awesome! It was one of the stops of the gw tour 3 summers ago. Global Gardens north of Zimmerman on 169 is good and so is The Hosta Lady in Oak Grove (north of Anoka about 8 miles). She has a couple hundred varieties for sale early summer. If you'd like a price list from her I can get you her email. If you stop at the Hosta Lady's sale you have to stop at Lone Wolf Nursery in St Francis they have a number of hostas and unusual annuals. Trading here on gw is another great place to get hostas.

Dave

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Guess Venero is one of those places I know how to get to, not how to give directions to. Only 8 miles away, I'm jealous, I have to drive nearly an hour to get there.

• lily_digger
    17 years ago

And don't forget Funkie Gardens in Prescott, WI. They have a wonderful selection of hosta. If you have to drive an hour to get to Excelsior or Shorewood, that may actually be closer for you.
    Is Venero the place with the huge peony gardens, Rick?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Nope, thats further yet, I'm coming from the west. And Venero has lots of hostas, but a good selection of other perennials too. Are you thinking of Swenson Gardens? They specialize in Peonies. www.swensongardens.com They're in or near Delano

• lily_digger
    17 years ago

No, this is a place on a county road in Shorewood that may be private. I literally stumbled onto it one spring 10+ years ago and, at that time, they had a field of peonies as far as the eye could see, a greenhouse in which they sold bouquets of them, and a lovely arbor in the front that housed wonderful varieties of hosta. I have never been there again and they do not appear to be "public" (if they ever were.) Given the description of Shorewood, I just thought, maybe...
    Yes, I have ordered from Swenson's - bought "The Fawn" from her for my cabin. Great stock!!
    Funkie's is worth the trip some day and a great way to enjoy the river.

Here is a link that might be useful: Funkie's

• peggy_hosta
    11 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I see 'Leftwood"' posted about a Betty Ann in Fridley that sells out of her home. My daughter moved to Fridley recently and I happen to be going there this weekend (Aug 10,2012) Does she still sell and where is it?
    Peggy