Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Kniphofia/Red Hot Poker: Anyone grow it?

thisismelissa
13 years ago

Several years back, I remember walking up to the Perkins at 494 and France and seeing a huge swath of Kniphofia and really loving it. But then it occurred to me that I'd read that it was only hardy to zone 5 or 6. So I wondered if they were planted as annuals.

Well, in browsing, I came across a variety that's supposedly hardy to zone 4.

Can anyone comment on their success/lack of success with these?

Comments (18)

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

I've started them from seed a few times, but have yet to have them come back the following year here in MN. The ones I've sent or taken to my sister in Kansas though are doing fine - come back and spread a bit each year.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Hi Melissa, Are you referring to the ones in the High Country Gardens cat? I saw those as well and was wondering about them too.

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh hey!
    Kniphofia hirsuta 'Fire Dance'

This is the listing I saw: http://www.gardenimport.com/spblvl3.php?lvl=Kniphofia&nm=Kniphofia&ref=KN3025

Here is a link that might be useful: Kniphofia hirsuta 'Fire Dance'

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

I just checked HCG cat and the one they list for zone 4 is Kniphofia uvaria Hybrid Mix. They also have 'Fire Dance' but there they list it as zone 5. It seems to be cheaper though if you want to try it. I toyed with the idea but I have so many other plants I want plus I promised a friend to help her revamp a long border and I know I'll be putting in lots of hours there, so I'm trying to exercise some restraint...for however long it lasts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kniphofia uvaria

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

I just did a little more searching and most sites list hirsuta as the hardiest. The hardiness listings are all over the place. Some list it to zone 4, others 5, some 6 and one said 7. I guess it's one of those you have to try and see what happens. Forestfarm had them for $5.95. I've never ordered from them but they are pretty highly rated on Garden Watchdog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forestfarm

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Guess what I found at a local nursery?

'Fire Dance' is listed as zone 4 hardy at that nursery and they at least guarantee thru the current growing season, so I think I might give it a shot.

On another forum, some have said it prefers a sandy soil, which tends more toward clay. So, I might try it in a pot with some very well draining potting medium... possibly a cactus medium, since what I've read says it's native to arid regions.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Good luck with it. Let us know how it does.

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    12 years ago

I betcha its as dead as road kill next year.

• greenthumbelina7
    12 years ago

I started that one year and planted it out, nothing happened. It died and I haven't seen it since.
    I'd love to know if it works for you though!
    Good luck,
    Tina

• adamterrie
    12 years ago

I have had one for three years now. I purchased it at Friends School Plant Sale. It has not bloomed yet . . . maybe this will be the year.

- Adam

• naturemitch
    12 years ago

how did things turn out? I saw magnificent plants in the U.P.(specifically the Hurley/Ironwood area), so thinking if you have good snow cover, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the plant.

I love to zone push, and you certainly can with snow and microclimates!

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought one, and didn't plant it. It's still in the nursery container. I overwintered it in the garage.

It's now outside, but no signs of green yet. So, not sure if it's a late one or not.

We had pretty much NO snow cover, so, we'll just have to wait & see.

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ended up putting mine in the garage over the winter and it did come back.

I have it in a morning sun location right now and it has not sent up any bloom spikes, yet.

I do hope it does.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Pics please when it blooms!

• jel48
    11 years ago

I just bought 2 of them this spring. But we are a solid zone 5 here (because of the lake effect weather) and I can grow things I'd have never dreamed of growing in MN. I hope they do well. They certainly are beautiful!

• KittyWitty
    11 years ago

I also bought one a few years ago from friends plant sale... bloomed the following spring... it maybe a z5, but since its closer to the house, it does fine. It is now starting to produce offshoot plants that I hope to transplant into other areas of my garden. It is the 'flamenco' variety and blooms in the spring. I would love to add some later blooming ones if anyone would like to trade...

• ginkgonut
    10 years ago

Mine survived this past winter, a winter in which I lost some established hosta clumps. Go figure. It has not bloomed yet.

Menards had them this summer in bloom so I got some more to try in different spots.

Anybody still have theirs going? How are they doing?

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County