Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mean_74

Starting seeds for next year?

mean_74
14 years ago

I am starting to think about next years garden and what to plant. I have community garden space this year in addition to my small urban garden. I will be starting plants from seed and am trying to more organized this year. Anyone else starting from seed? When do you start the seeds? what do you start? Do you stagger any of them?

Thanks,

Matt from Winona

Comments (6)

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

Seed packets usually have instructions for the number of weeks to start before your targeted plant date outside keeping in mind your average last frost date. Some things could go out earlier that can tolerate a light frost. Others that like warm weather and soil (tomato, squash, etc) you may be better off waiting until the end of May. I direct sow a lot of my early vegetables such as spinach, lettuce and radishes. No year is ever the same so keeping an eye on the extended forecast is helpful.

Perhaps if you posted a list of things you intend to plant you could get some specific recommendations.

• mean_74
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We plan to start tomatoes, peppers, brocolli, thyme, basil, sage, and various cut flowers. Maybe some brussel sprouts and maybe some cantelope, watermelon and cucumbers.

• kaptainkr
    14 years ago

Last year I started tomatoes, some lettuce, herbs, cucumbers and watermelon from seed. I sprouted them on top of the fridge and then grew them under 4' shop lights. I also kept a fan blowing which I guess helps with damping off. One mistake I did was start my tomatoes too early. They got too big and some were even starting to flower. This year I'll wait a bit longer. People say that watermelons and cucumbers don't like transplanting, but I was careful and they didn't seem to mind. Now if only this summer we'll get some warmer weather. The U of M extension has a lot of good info for seed starting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed starting

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Those of us winter sowing have already started sowing seeds in small greenhouse type containers made from recycled milk jugs, 2L soda bottles, and other containers and placing them outside to await sprouts in the spring.

Check out the wintersowing forum.

I start very few plants indoors anymore, much easier to sow and grow plants with the winter sowing method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• zenpotter
    14 years ago

I have been thinking about what do order for my winter sowing.It is about that time. I usually wait until after the seed swap, but it doesn't look like one is happening this year.

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but now is a good time to start delphiniums. Easy to germinate and grow (if you have fresh seed) and many will bloom first year from such an early sowing. Gary

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting