Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting seeds for next year?

Posted by mean 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 12:07

I am starting to think about next years garden and what to plant. I have community garden space this year in addition to my small urban garden. I will be starting plants from seed and am trying to more organized this year. Anyone else starting from seed? When do you start the seeds? what do you start? Do you stagger any of them?

Thanks,

Matt from Winona

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting seeds for next year?

Seed packets usually have instructions for the number of weeks to start before your targeted plant date outside keeping in mind your average last frost date. Some things could go out earlier that can tolerate a light frost. Others that like warm weather and soil (tomato, squash, etc) you may be better off waiting until the end of May. I direct sow a lot of my early vegetables such as spinach, lettuce and radishes. No year is ever the same so keeping an eye on the extended forecast is helpful.

Perhaps if you posted a list of things you intend to plant you could get some specific recommendations.

o

We plan to start tomatoes, peppers, brocolli, thyme, basil, sage, and various cut flowers. Maybe some brussel sprouts and maybe some cantelope, watermelon and cucumbers.

o

Last year I started tomatoes, some lettuce, herbs, cucumbers and watermelon from seed. I sprouted them on top of the fridge and then grew them under 4' shop lights. I also kept a fan blowing which I guess helps with damping off. One mistake I did was start my tomatoes too early. They got too big and some were even starting to flower. This year I'll wait a bit longer. People say that watermelons and cucumbers don't like transplanting, but I was careful and they didn't seem to mind. Now if only this summer we'll get some warmer weather. The U of M extension has a lot of good info for seed starting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed starting

o

Those of us winter sowing have already started sowing seeds in small greenhouse type containers made from recycled milk jugs, 2L soda bottles, and other containers and placing them outside to await sprouts in the spring.

Check out the wintersowing forum.

I start very few plants indoors anymore, much easier to sow and grow plants with the winter sowing method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

o

I have been thinking about what do order for my winter sowing.It is about that time. I usually wait until after the seed swap, but it doesn't look like one is happening this year.

o

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but now is a good time to start delphiniums. Easy to germinate and grow (if you have fresh seed) and many will bloom first year from such an early sowing. Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here