Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

Most productive veggie varieties

Hi everyone! It's nice to be back at the forums after a couple year break to raise my daughter, now 2. Its seed catalog time, and I'm trying to pick varieities for my vegetable garden that are very prolific, and can take some mild neglect. Who knew it would be so difficult to keep a toddler in the yard while you try to weed???

Can any of you make some suggestions for very prolific vegetable (ok fruits count too, I love my melons) varieties, that have performed well for you in the past? I think its fun to think about what has worked well, as we gaze at all those beautiful catalog pictures.

Comments (14)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Pinot Noir has become one of my favorite peppers. It's prolific, can be used green, purple or my favorite is when it ripens to a very sweet red. There is also a very sweet mini orange pepper, but I'm going to have to look that one up as I can't remember the name at the moment.

• leftwood
    13 years ago

On the subject of peppers, I have never had anything more prolific than Paprika Supreme. large finger peppers that ripen red and sweet, but can also be eaten green when it has a more pungent flavor.

I grew a spaghetti squash that grew smaller size fruits. Golden something? Anyway, not many spaghetti squash varieties out there, so if you see one that grows smaller than normal squashes, but more of them, I'm sure that would be the one. LOTS of winter squashes, and only medium growth with the vines.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Paprika Supreme sounds good, I'll have to look for that one. I really like the French filet type green beans as well. I can't remember the names of the two I've grown but both were delicious and very productive.
    I've been happy with Legend tomato and Quali-T 23 as well.

• leftwood
    13 years ago

Of course, you can make ground paprika from them if you want. I've done it with the red ripe ones and it is very good, but you get so little because it is dried.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Would be fun to try anyway, just so I could say I did it.

• beverlymnz4
    13 years ago

My lettuce crop was a whopper the last two years. I planted the usual varieties: black seeded simpson, butter crunch, and lolla rosa. All tasted great and grew well in part sun. Lolla rosa had the smallest head so I think I'm going to add "sea of red" leaf lettuce. It was recomended in Organic Gardening Magazine.

They also reccomend Pinot Noir Bell Pepper. Especially for northern gardens - "first to set fruit". Thats 2 recomendations so its on my list to try this year.

Beans are another one of my favorites. I read that "Beananza Greenbeans" have a longer productive season. Has anyone tried them? If so how did they taste? It would be nice to plant just once in my small vegi patch.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

I haven't tried that bean variety but have found most of them to have a long production time so long as I keep picking them.

• northwoodswis4
    13 years ago

The year I planted Legend tomatoes, they all died, while the other varieties grew fine. I especially like Jungs' Perfect Pick zucchini. It has a better flavor than the other kinds. My carrots did poorly until I tried Envy carrots. My granddaughter loves Cupid grape tomatoes. How Sweet It Is corn does very well here. Cherry Belle are my favorite radish. Super Sugar Snap peas are wonderful right off the vine. The Dwarf Gray sugar peas were terrible! For many other crops, the variety didn't seem to make much difference. Have given up on melons. I live 2 miles from Minnesota. Northwoodswis

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear your Legend toms died for you. They are one of my never fail varieties here. I've been growing them for about 6 or 7 years now.

• pjewles30305
    13 years ago

Has anyone had luck with Melons? I have tried watermelons and cantaloupe for 2 years with no luck.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

My neighbor grows them on black plastic. She lays soaker hoses out and covers them with black plastic, with holes cut through for planting the melons. She almost always has great melons. Being a somewhat lazy veggie gardener I just buy melons from her. lol

• leftwood
    13 years ago

You could try Minnesota Midget muskmelon...

• giantslug
    13 years ago

I have grown Athena cantaloupe and Passport honeydew melons for several years and they have been very reliable and productive.

• kaptainkr
    13 years ago

I grew Minnesota Midget melons last year with success. In the end I got probably two dozed softball to bowling ball size fruits from two plants. I grew them in containers and had them climb a trellis.

Sponsored